We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much is a pint of beer

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
How much is a pint of beer

Incidentally

How much is a pint of beer in the old P at the moment?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much is a pint of beer

on my last trip (May2009) prices varied from about 21czk in the suburbs to 145czk(yes145czk) at the airport.On average around the city centre most places were just below the 40czk mark.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g274707-c122822/Pra…

have look as this page ,there is some good info and a link to a lot of Prague pubs and prices are listed

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much is a pint of beer

You can even get as low as 18 in some places - certainly in Brno. In the centre of Prague it is a lot more than that - my rule of thumb is if it is more than 30 it is too much. I find that the quality is inversely proportional to the price, i.e. the more it costs, the worse it is. A decent pub should cater for its regular customers by serving excellent beer at good prices, and not try to get a quick buck out of one-off visitors or, as at the airport, rip off captive customers who have time and money to burn. Then of course there are the faux 'Irish' and 'English' pubs which can charge what they like a) because they are just about the only place that the dwindling number of stag parties will get a drink and b) the majority of their customers just want to drink Stella and Guinness anyway and don't realise how much it is costing them as they are paying in funny foreign money.

One of the very few places in the tourist area of Prague that worth its salt and sticks to the above ideal of a decent pub is U černého vola on Loretánské náměstí - there are definitely others, but I don't know them (possibly U hrocha by the British embassy, but I haven't been there recently).

Mentioned in this post
Brno
Brno
South Moravian Region, Czech Republic
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
U Hrocha
U Hrocha
310 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much is a pint of beer

Its the same the world over. Paying more for food does not guarantee it is better. Same with beer. Same with atmosphere.

I have never been to Bruno mind but nearly ended up living/ working there a few years ago.

Eventually a beer ends up costing the same as where most of the visitors origionate from if there are enough visitors. Capitalism.

I havent tried Vola by the castle. I never saw the turn and got frighted off by people with red umbrellas. Went up Uvoz by mistake which is residental on the back of that street. Beer is definatley better round there. Had a few just on the corner outside a hotel there

My favourite was further down the road Glaubiu, in a cellar. Amazing Duck.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much is a pint of beer

In the very center of the tourist areas, particularly Stare Mesto, you'll pay 90. Walk a few blocks and it's 60.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much is a pint of beer

Bet it tastes likes rats urine too?

They have to charge more as the rent must be quite high for the best places

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How much is a pint of beer

The first week of December we found a Gambrinus pub in Prague 6 with 18 kc pints but our usual pubs, U Medvidku and U Vejvodu were 32 and 33 kc. Now that's quite a bit higher from five years ago but still about half what they get for a pint of swill over here!

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
U Medvidku
U Medvidku
3,456 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
U Vejvodu
U Vejvodu
2,097 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
NDG
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How much is a pint of beer

On this subject, is there a type of guide I can pick up, similar to the CAMRA guides in UK, to help me in my quest for quality local beer?

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How much is a pint of beer

pivni-filosof.com/2008/01/some-serious-beer-…

NDG
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How much is a pint of beer

Cheers!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply