We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking at hotel....OUCH!! Other options?

UK
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Parking at hotel....OUCH!! Other options?

Hi!

We are staying at the Intercontinental in October and will be driving to Prague. I've just check the hotel website and can see that they charge around 30 Euro a day for parking!! Is that pretty common across other hotels?

I'm trying to think about cheaper options. One thing I'm thinking of is parking the car out at the airport over the weekend since this will cost less than half.

Anyone know of any other options?

D

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Hotel Residence Agnes
Hotel Residence Agnes
#1 of 649 hotels in Prague
Hotel Pod Vezi
Hotel Pod Vezi
#2 of 649 hotels in Prague
Unitas Hotel
Unitas Hotel
#5 of 649 hotels in Prague
Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking at hotel....OUCH!! Other options?

If you park at the airport, you may spend 20 euros getting there and back each time. But consider what you get for your 30 euros - a safe (and I can't overemphasise this) place for your car to be parked. Nearly all of the centre of Prague is either pay and display or residents only and the local police are quite brutal in towing away foreign cars wrongly parked and the compound is miles away.

If you really want to save money, you can park all day for free on Saturdays and Sundays on Na Florenci street near Namesti Republiky, where the parking signs say "Po-Pa" (which is 15 minutes walk from the Intercontinental) and all day for free on Sunday on the street at Dvorakovo nabrezi just round the corner from the Intercontinental (turn left at the traffic lights at the end of Parizska street - i.e. do not go over the bridge) where the parking signs say "Po-So", but you need to move your car early; i.e. before breakfast.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Parizska Street
Parizska Street
115 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Prague
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking at hotel....OUCH!! Other options?

There's a couple of ways to save. The multi storey carpark at Kotva Department store about a 10 minute walk from you operates a ticket system. If you are dropping the car off for a week and then leaving, I know people that park here for a week on the lower floors the tell the guy on the door that you lost the ticket. You get charged for a whole day but, it's 10% of what you'd pay normally. I know others that deliberately get the car towed away as the fine will be about 30% of what you would pay at the airport and they are left in a secure place (Klimentska if you are lucky). The other option is to drive along to Branik and park on the street, then get the tram along to the Intercontinental (20 mins).

Jason

Mentioned in this post
Kotva
Kotva
65 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Hotel Branik
Hotel Branik
56 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking at hotel....OUCH!! Other options?

I'd spring for the 30 Euro a day. We stayed at the Intercontinental and used the garage. It's safe and convenient. There is good reason why some car rental companies are reluctant to lease certain make/models cars for taking into the former Eastern countries. The theft rate is quite high.