We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather at Christmas

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orange, CA
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
weather at Christmas

I am looking into booking a tour from December 25th to January 1st that goes to Vienna, Prague, and Budapest. I am a little concerned about the weather. I am from sunny Southern California and have not really had any experience in the cold weather. I am not opposed to bundling up I just don't want the weather to detract from seeing the sights in these cities. Any info would be helpful. I'd also like to know about the times shops/attractions close that time of year. I don't mind it being dark early, but I still want to be able to experience the sights even if it is dark and cold. Thanks for any help.

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather at Christmas

Weather may well be cold (up to minus 10) and there will be nothing you can do about it, apart from bring a good coat, hat, gloves and boots. It will get colder as you get further East; i.e. towards Budapest, where the wind is more of a problem than the snow.

Shops should be open from 26th, but many close on the afternoon of the 31st and on the 1st. Restaurants are an issue on 31st, so eat your main meal at lunchtime. You will find more shut in Vienna than in Budapest and Prague. Attractions are mainly open, but often close at dusk (4pm) and early on 31st