We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antiques & flea markets advice please...

Newport, S Wales
4 posts
Save Topic
Antiques & flea markets advice please...

I have planned a surprise birthday weekend to celebrate my mother's 60th birthday and would appreciate any advice on whether there are any antiques/flea markets taking place in or around Prague from the 3rd to the 5th of May as she is very much a fan of these types of markets and I thought it would be nice for her to buy something individual and unique to remember her trip rather than the usual tourist shop offerings.

Any advice on good antiques shops which are not over priced would also be greatly appreciated.

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,955 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Antiques & flea markets advice please...

There are a lot of "antique"('zastavárna')

shops all around Prague ,lots around the Old town Square ,there are also shops that are like pawn shops called 'bazar'

Prague doesnt actualy have Flea markets

There is an auction house next to the Estates Theatre called Dorotheum,Where I think you may find some very nice things.

http://www.dorotheum.cz/en_dorotheumcz.html

TORII

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,716 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antiques & flea markets advice please...

'starožitnost' is the word for antique - but any shop name incorporating this word in the centre of Prague they will invariably be very expensive (and even more so if they actually say 'Antique').

This one has come up before a few times. Unfortunately in recent years a lot of beautiful furniture has gone on the tip with the advent of IKEA, etc, and a lot of very nice stuff that is apparently worthless to the original owners ends up in junk shops 'zastavárna' (as Torii mentions above), and they can be good hunting grounds for some prime tidbits. It is just a matter of rooting around - there is a place outside the centre on the way to Lidice http://www.bustehradantik.cz/index.php but get there early (i.e. about 6 am) as apparently the Germans get there first (thanks Martina for this one)

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,716 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antiques & flea markets advice please...

sorry - 'bazár' is a junk shop (can also mean car boot sale), 'zastavárna' is a pawn shop, but they also contain a lot of junk (sometimes some quite nice junk - my wife has never forgiven me for some of the stuff I have brought home!) :)

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,955 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Antiques & flea markets advice please...

Here is a previous post with similar replies.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274707-i96-k249…

TORII

Prague
Level Contributor
178 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Antiques & flea markets advice please...

prague flea market is opened only for saturdays, so this doesn't fit your visit...

Prague
Level Contributor
178 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Antiques & flea markets advice please...

sunday too, I have no idea why I wrote just saturday :) sorry , but I think it will not fit yours schedule anyway as it is open since early morning till 13:30

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,850 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Antiques & flea markets advice please...

Heebicka: Where is Prague flea market located?

Prague
Level Contributor
178 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Antiques & flea markets advice please...

Prague 9 - Vysocany, next to Kolbenova metro station (B line)

Birmingham
Level Contributor
308 posts
606 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Antiques & flea markets advice please...

we always browse the antique shops on our visits to prague but the prices are way above what you would pay in the uk but its nice to browse,have a great time.

Newport, S Wales
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Antiques & flea markets advice please...

Many thanks for all the good advice - will be in Prague late on the 02/05 so should be up early enough to get to market on the sunday. Will otherwise look out for the other shops that have been mentioned.