We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Prague from Frankfurt?

Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Train to Prague from Frankfurt?

Hi

Am planning a trip to Prague in Apr/May.

However, am able to get my international flight to land in Frankfurt; and i have to end my trip in Frankfurt as well.

From there, is it easy to get to Prague? What are my options for train service?

I also intend to visit Vienna, so will it be better if i do Frankfurt-Vienna-Prague or to do Prague first?

Am not so good in my geography - but would like to know what is the usual itinerary via train if we would like to travel Germany/Austria/Czech Republic? (is there any place in Germany i can fit in from Frankfurt?)

Appreciate your advice.

Praha
Level Contributor
634 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Prague from Frankfurt?

Look at www.vlak.cz/ConnForm.asp?tt=a&p=CD&cl=E5 - schedules and train connections in Europe.

There is only 1 direct train from Frankfurt to Prague night train EN 459 CANOPUS

Frankfurt(Main)Süd 0:55

Praha-Holešovice 10:40

Praha hl.n. 10:52

Many trains with 1 transfer in various cities (Nürnberg, Dresden, Regensburg).

There are several direct trains Frankfurt -> Wien and many direct trains Wien -> Praha.

How many time do you have? Do you like historical, natural or industrial monuments? There are thousands of interesting places between the cities you mentioned.

New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Prague from Frankfurt?

As you can see the train from Frankfurt to Prague is long and also not that cheap. It worth looking into a flight, Ryan Air is a good choice as they have cheap flights when booked ahead. Will be cheaper than the train and even though the airport Ryan Air flies from in Frakfurt is about an hour outside the city it will still save you time vs. the train.

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
360 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Prague from Frankfurt?

Hann airport does not win the award for Ryanair destination furthest away from the city it claims to land but it wins the silver medal. Closer to the truth would be Koblenz, but even then not that close, I believe it is a former US airforce base in the middle of nowhere.

I would stick with the rail,as I don't believe Ryanair fly every day. Perhaps you can look at the Czech Airlines as an option or Lufthansa.

Singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to Prague from Frankfurt?

thks all. I checked the website for train connections as advised. How about purchase of the ticket? (i dun seem to see any fare pricing/purchase option on the website. http://www.vlak.cz/LinesForm.asp?tt=a&p=CD&cl=E5)

Night train as recommended sounds good. If I am looking at historical places/sights, which are the places along the train connectinn from Frankfurt to Prague that i can explore?

5. Re: Train to Prague from Frankfurt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:25 am, October 22, 2009