We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon help

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
268 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon help

It will be both of our first times in Europe and we're trying to figure out a tentative itinerary. We will have 12 days in Europe and would like to visit the following places:

Paris

Vienna

Prague

Budapest

Would we be killing ourselves trying to do a town every three days? I don't know when I will make it back so I want to see as much as possible. How is Prague for honemooners?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon help

Prague is fantastic for romantic 2-3 day stay.

Two hotels for you

1. Metamorphis Hotel - Centrally located in a lovely part of the Old Town three minutes walk to the Old Town Square. Ask for the "Suite" Rooms 19 or 20 which are quieter.

2. The Golden Star Hotekl in Mala Strana ( the other side of the Vltava River. Very romantic and just under the castle

Restaurant to go to for a really romantic meal and not too expensive is David which is in Mala Strana. Book ahead for this restaurant.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
268 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon help

Thanks for your prompt response! Would the best way to travel from place to place be via train? Do you know how the weather is mid-October?

Thank you again! :)

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon help

Given the short time you have it might be worth it to fly from Paris to Vienna then train from Vienna-Prague-Budapest.

Another option might be to book a night train with a sleeping car if you think you can sleep on a train. (which my wife could Not do)

That is a pretty aggressive schedule, but doable if you have the stamina. (which I would not have after a wedding) You might want to consider taking out a city. I haven't been to BudaPest but I love Prague and Paris. You could easily spend a week in Paris and three or four days in Prague and Vienna each. For me I would definitely keep Paris and Prague in your line up.

A word of advice is to not try to pack sooo much in a trip that you don't get to enjoy any of it. Americans are notorious for that. Part of being in Europe is sitting at a street cafe sipping a Latte and watching people. Make sure you leave time to savor the experience. If you do, then nothing will keep you from coming back for more.

Hope this helps. :-D TJ

PS I think the best option is to add a couple more days if possible.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
268 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon help

Thanks for your honest response TripJunky. We didn't want to be racing around Europe so I will heed your advice and cut out a city. We're going to up our trip by a few days, so we'll have around 14 days and will plan on visiting three cities.

As much as we want to visit Paris, I'm not sure when we will get back out to visit Budapest other than when we do Prague and Vienna. Right now we've narrowed our trip down to either: two weeks in France, or two weeks exploring Prague, Vienna and Budapest.

Thank you for the info about not packing too much, especially if we're going to be visiting so many places I'd rather not have tons of luggage. My only concern is cold weather as cold weather clothes are bulkier!

If you have any other helpful info, I'd love to hear it. :)

Newcastle
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon help

Hi,

Don't miss out Prague. It is so romantic!!! Much easier to get round than say Paris if you are working to a tight schedule.

Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon help

I didn't mean to talk you out of going to Prague! It's a great 'honeymoon city', very romantic. Since you're adding a couple days it would be doable to go to Paris, fly or night train to Prague and then go to Budapest. That would give you a great cross section of Europe. Or, as it looks like you're already doing, start planning now on where you'll go on the next trip. Tough choice huh?

Prague is a beautiful city! It has an incomparable array of architecture. Buildings date back to the 12th century. It was never bombed during WWII so it's all intact. If you can't fit Prague in on this trip then definitely make plans for the next trip!

Re: Packing - I'm not sure who mentioned it but, definitely; Pack Light, Pack Light, Pack Light. When my wife and I travel, usually two weeks at a time, we seldom take more than an international regulation size carry-on and a small personal bag (ie. beltpack) each. You can do laundry half way through. Wear your jacket on the plane then stuff it in the overhead. Buy a sweater there and then you have a souvenir too. It's alot more fun to buy something if you need it, than to lug around a huge suitcase full of stuff you don't need. You can always buy a cheap bag to bring home 'souvenir clothes'.

Whatever choice you make it will be the right one. You can't go wrong with Paris or Prague.

Just remember to relax and HAVE FUN! ... even if you wind up fighting like a pair of Wolverines...It'll be OK... Just Relax and HAVE FUN!!

;-D TJ

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon help

I would drop Budapest. It is hardly the place for a honeymoon. Even then three cities in 12 days would be too much for me. If you combine Paris and Prague or Vienna, the only way between them is by plane. You may think that if you are likely to go to Paris again, that you just stick with Prague and Vienna. Both are romantic. Vienna with its palaces, opera and coffee houses. Prague for the architecture and amtosphere. Both though fall behind Paris in the "romantic" stakes.

Don't know what your budget is, but as the honeymoon is (hopefully) a once in a lifetime experience, there is only one hotel that would fit and that is the Four Seasons. You don't have to take a castle view room, as the view can be gained from the terrace of the hotel.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon help

I just took this same trip and can give you my itinerary. It was a great trip - let me know how to reach you.