We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beautiful Prague/ Avoid Student Agency Bus

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Beautiful Prague/ Avoid Student Agency Bus

We stayed in Prague at the Ventana Hotel for 4 nights. I had been hoping to visit Prague for years and finally I did and it lived up to what I imagined it would be like. Beautiful, historic and I was blown away by how much I enjoyed it. I travelled with my husband and he also loved this little town. We visited the castle for an entire day, walked along Charles Bridge and generally walked to all the major tourist sites and areas during the day.

One tip about the castle, catch a number 22 bus up there as it will save you huffing and puffing all the way up.

I didn't find any rudeness or unfriendliness except for the staff on the student agency bus. We had stayed overnight in Cesky Krumlov which was terrific place. We caught a taxi to the bus station and I was unsure where we were supposed to be. I enquired at the information booth and she said she had never heard of them. I then saw the yellow bus at the back of the bus parking lot and I thought I would ask if this was indeed the right bus and where we need to wait. As I approached the bus driver was chatting on the mobile phone and waved me away with the rudest expression on his face. OK, I would wait and then ask. He looked at me and shut the door in my face. I told my husband who then made his way over and yes, the door was shut in his face too except this time he was chomping on a cucumber. My hubby went in the back door to ask the girls who were cleaning and they snubbed him and answered him one word answers. No professionalism at all in fact we were laughing at their antics. I wrote to this company in English but I doubt they would have understood what I wrote or even cared.

Oh and one more IMPORTANT thing, this company claims an express service but it's untrue. My husband got off the bus at the start of the journey and retreived his back pack, no one asked or even looked when he took it out from the bus. This bus stops about 6 times before it reaches Prague to let people off and pick up others. Considering how easily my hubby reached into the bus and took his luggage we were scared stiff about wether our luggage would still be there when we reached Prague. Anyone can get off the bus, take luggage out and nobody asks or cares if they are taking the right case. I would not recommend this company as the service is poor and the staff are rude.

Overall Prague is beautiful and a magnificent city.

Old Royal Palace
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Castles
Waldstein Palace
Castles, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beautiful Prague/ Avoid Student Agency Bus

So glad you enjoyed yourselves and thanks for the very usefull and important info regarding the bus.

TORII

thesaloniki
Level Contributor
689 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beautiful Prague/ Avoid Student Agency Bus

I can`t comment on the service of the student agency but regarding the luggage thing i haven`t experienced anything different anywhere.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beautiful Prague/ Avoid Student Agency Bus

Thanks Torii,

I cannot emphasise strongly enough about the lack of security regarding the luggage. The rudeness was a side issue. I get very nervous when I can't see my cases and when I realized that they were there for anyone to help themselves to if they wanted made for a stressful journey.

We came from Italy and on some journeys we travelled 2nd class and had to put our luggage in storage at the end of the carriage. I had heard other stories of people jumping on the train and offloading suitcases to an accomplice waiting on the platform just before the train was taking off. Passengers are seated, the luggage is unattended and they're an easy target.I stood next to our cases until the train started. I got some strange looks but I didn't care.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,305 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beautiful Prague/ Avoid Student Agency Bus

Unfortunately you have come across Czech 'customer service'! AS abfab says, that is completely par for the course and I would find it very odd if anything else were true :)

I am back in the UK for a bit at the moment and I have to do a double take if somebody asks me if I need any help in a shop, or if the till assistant says 'thank you'.

I always like to make a point of making some small pleasantries with the staff in our local shop, either in Brno or especially in Bratislava, just to see the reaction - it is quite amusing.

I'm missing the old grumpiness already - not long now!

Prague
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Beautiful Prague/ Avoid Student Agency Bus

Unfortunately czech people as a staff are not very friendly. We went to the shop to buy a travelling pillow. I asked to the shop asistent for the pillow and she cut off from a hanger and said the price. So my husband gave her 1000 Kc. She throwned coins plus 200 Kc plus 1000 Kc at the counter with very angry expression in her face. We were in the shop about 2 minutes, so I dont know, why she was so angry. Normally I would tell her, that she gave us back too much, but because she was such a b.... I didnt say anything.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beautiful Prague/ Avoid Student Agency Bus

I must agree with abfab13. I havent seen other way of handling luggage anywhere in the world. E.g. I have been traveling round Ireland lately and I was really worried about my luggage (there is a lot of hooligans in Ireland you couldnt meet in the Czech Republic), the same in Spain. The only place where you can see drivers standing by and controlling your number with the number of your luggage is Slovakia (e.g. bus from Prague to Kosice). So again - this is normal everywhere - it is YOU, who has to look after your luggage, to trust the people and I suppose you are not putting your money down into your bag.

Mentioned in this post
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beautiful Prague/ Avoid Student Agency Bus

Oh, and I am also surprised by the Student Agency problem, as this is my beloved bus company, whenever I can I go with them - tell me, does any other agency put stewardess into every bus, give you hot drinks for free, cold drinks for 40 euro cents, 8 music channels and a Wifi internet access in the bus? Dont think so

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,067 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beautiful Prague/ Avoid Student Agency Bus

You're the only one that's surprised, other posters also comment on the rude behaviour they've encountered in various areas. Student Agency bus staff need a lesson in customer service skills because they have no idea how to deal with the public or provide security for the pasengers luggage they carry irregardless what commodities are available on the bus. Eurostar, airlines and many bus services, hotels provide access to all movies, wifi, internet etc but their service is excellent not shoddy.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,305 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beautiful Prague/ Avoid Student Agency Bus

Hey - It's all part of the 'experience' LOL !!

10. Re: Beautiful Prague/ Avoid Student Agency Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, October 09, 2009