We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Ticket

New Jersey
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Metro Ticket

24 hour pass

Is this valid 24 hours from the first time stamped or is this by day. The 24 hour pass is 100 czk why is the 72 hour pass 330 czk?

Is this pass also good on trams? If so I assume it does not need to be validated on the tram if already validated on the metro. Also does the pass cover luggage?

Thanks

Gbow

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro Ticket

That's really odd, my guidebook says it's 200kc for 3 days but I took a picture of the fare sign when recently there and indeed it does say 330kc. If you look at this website it says that you can take a child aged 6-15 with you if you buy the 72 hour pass, if you are by yourself it appears to be cheaper to buy 3 24 hour passes

http://www.dpp.cz/en/fares/

The pass is good on trams as well as the metro, you only validate once (ours was pre-validated as we bought it on the train from Vienna to Prague for 80kc). According to the sign I saw, the passes cover 1 piece of luggage.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,987 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro Ticket

I wouldn't worry about the luggage too much - it is only if you are carrying a vast amount of bulky stuff that they start to complain.

They are valid 24 hours from when you stamped it and are valid on everything (except taxis and the horse-drawn carriges on staromestske namesti).

And yes, prices went up at the beginning of the year, rendering your guidebook out of date!

Prague
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro Ticket

The 24 hour pass is valid in all the public transport system within the metropolitan area of Prague, without limits (other than the time).

Why the 72hs is more expensive is a question that the most reknown Czech Philosophers are still trying to figure out.

In my humble opinion, it is a case of someone having one to many beers or shots of Becherovka and confusing a 3 for a 5.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,987 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro Ticket

It is a blatant attempt to squeeze more money out of the tourist, disguised as a 'special offer' in that you can take a child with you 'free of charge', and we all have one of those, don't we?

And it is only really worth it if you plan to take 12 journeys (or more if you are just going a short distance) in that space of time, which you are probably not going to do as pretty much everything is walking distance.

I suggest you just buy ten tickets when you get to the airport and see how you go.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro Ticket

I think you'll find that Prague is a really good city to walk in if your hotel is central, in the 5 days we were there, we bought an individual ticket from the airport (26kc) and the 24 hour pass on the last day (80kc) and even then we just barely got our money's worth of it and only because we wanted to visit the flea market well outside of the center. I'd say just play it on a day to day basis.

Windsor, Canada
Level Contributor
203 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metro Ticket

flea market?? Could you please tell me where this is located? I'd love to check this out!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,987 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metro Ticket

prague.tv/articles/shopping/prague-markets

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metro Ticket

We went to three of those markets, the one at Kolbenova is outside the center but very easy to get to by metro. The admission is now 20kc, lots of junk, old Soviet and Nazi memorabilia (or at least they try to pass it off as such), very little in the way of tourist souvenirs although we did find decent tshirts for about $3 each. Get there early, some were already packing up at 11:30 but it was a very hot day, all out in the open.

The next stop was the Holesovice market, that's more geared to tourists, lots of souvenirs, clothes, the guy who suggested it to us said it was run mostly by Vietnamese and that you should offer 1/2 of what they ask for. Believe me the prices dropped quickly! Lots of booths to get a snack at.

The 3rd was Havelska, it's right in the heart of the old town, we just stumbled on it. Tourist souvenirs, some fruits and veggies, this one is not very big but you won't go out of your way to find it.

9. Re: Metro Ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 30, 2009