We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!!!! live jazz in prague. huge problem

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
burton on trent
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help!!!! live jazz in prague. huge problem

Would love to find a good bar with live music (arriv 2nd july for 4 days) I love jazz he ain't too keen so a mix would be nice. Also a place with NO dancefloor would be a bonus because his dancing is outragious and embarassing. we are also so travelling with his brother who taught him to dance. Is prague ready? Is there a good place to jump from charles bridge if it all gets too much?

thanks sally

Prague
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!!!! live jazz in prague. huge problem

My own favourite is the Agharta jazzclub. Now it is located just off the Old Town Square in bigger premesis than it's old Krakovska address. Webpage is at www.agharta.cz

Jason

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!!!! live jazz in prague. huge problem

As I'm jazz freak and amateur jazz saxophonist I can give some 'say-so' perhaps. There are suprisingly many places with the live jazz music in Prague; do not be afraid of dancing obligations as no of the spots I know are 'dangerous' in that sense. I will mention the clubs near the Prague centre only because some outskirt spots are difficult to find. The addresses of the places that follow you will find swimmingly using any plan of city centre.

The "Agharta Jazz Centrum" in the Zelezna St. is not bad if you prefer rather modern jazz, funky an fusion. It is located in the medieval vault and atmosphere is very informal.

Jazz club "U stare pan��" int the Michalsk�� St. is more decent, modern jazz and mainstream is mostly played here. It is located in the cellar of the small hotel and its atmosphere is slightly sniffy (not too much).

In the past the Reduta Jazz Club in the N��rodn�� Ave. was the most noted, but now it seems to me that they are interested first and foremost in the money of tourists; gate-money is steep and atmposhere is bleakly touched by attendance of tourist groups forced to come there by travel agencies and their package offers. Puzzled Japanese squads are often the prevalent audience.

There is beer-restaurant "U Price" in the very center of Old Town (Staromestske namesti = Old Town Sq.) where the dixieland groups play every evening (no admission fee). But, the prices of the beverages and meals are rather high there. In any case you can step in and take decision after. If you will stay and consume, beware of bill when you'll pay - waiters are sometimes trying to rip off simple-hearted foreigners.

Club "U Maleho Glenna" in Karmelitska St. (over the river - so called 'Mala Strana' part of city center) is dedicated to modern jazz, latin and blues music. The spot is the haunt of the aliens settled in the Prague.

The "Metropolitan Jazz Club" in the Jungmannova St. is the small spot with the mainstream, swing, dixie and old-time jazz repertoire. The atmosphere is familiar but unpredictable: sometimes very hot and crowdy, sometimes quiet and desolate - depending on amount and kind of visitors that enter this place mostly at random. (I'm far from advertising anyways, but I'll play there with my trio on Wednesday 6th. Tunes and songs of Fats Waller, if you know the name, is our speciality.)

Marginal note: most of bands are used to sell their CDs during performance - sometimes at tall prices. Check the personell mentioned on CD cover with the actual one on the stage; sometimes you could buy something different from you are just listen to.

HAVE A NICE STAY IN PRAGUE and KEEP SWINGING!

burton on trent
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!!!! live jazz in prague. huge problem

thankyou once again petr. will be arriving sat eve so your info is invaluable. will print and try a few. much graciousness. sally

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!!!! live jazz in prague. huge problem

Hi Sally, I've been just invited to play with the dixie group at resturant "U Prince" (mentioned above) on Sunday 3rd evenig. If you will pass by accidentally, hail me through the door! Petr.

burton on trent
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!!!! live jazz in prague. huge problem

thanks petr, if we pass by we will be sure to pop in and say hello. sally

DM
washington DC
Level Contributor
708 posts
18 reviews