We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drinking water in Prague

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
4 posts
Save Topic
Drinking water in Prague

I will be in Prague for the first time this summer. My friend who has been there said that the drinking water, and the ice cubes are not safe. She told me her traveling companion got very ill from two ice cubes in her drink.

Can anybody verify this, should we be concerned with the drinking water in Prague?

Thanks.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,342 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drinking water in Prague

There is nothing wrong with the drinking water in Prague. It is perfectly safe.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drinking water in Prague

I have been travelling to the Czech Republic for years and have drank the water without any problem.

I never put ice in my drinks though.

Prague
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drinking water in Prague

Ive been living in Prague (actually a village nearby) and I drink tap water all the time. Many Czechs prefer to drink mineral water because they dont like too much the taste of the tap water. Otherwsie it is as safe as in any other european city.

There is nothing to be afraid of. Though, I prefer to drink beer myself....:)

MAX

http://pivni-filosof.blogspot.com/

Prague
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drinking water in Prague

I dont drink the water, as there are lots of old pipes still. Maybe I am a bit fussy...

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drinking water in Prague

I was told from a heart transplant surgeon here in the states who is from Russia not to drink the water in Prague before I went the first time.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,342 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drinking water in Prague

http://www.pvk.cz/show.asp?column=24

for those that are interested

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
349 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drinking water in Prague

With all respect - how can Russian (however accomplished) warn you about water in Prague?

Locals sometimes prefer not to drink tap water because of its heavily chlorinated taste (no chance for contracting any infection, rest assured) and in places also high calcium content that makes eg. tea undrinkable without using tap filter.

Bottled water is everywhere and its very cheap.

I see no reason to fear ice cubes in restaurants, never heard of any troubles and never encountered any myself.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drinking water in Prague

He spent several months in Prague. His concern was with cryptosporidium.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
349 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drinking water in Prague

Might be, I can say that by guessing the amount of chlorine, the Prague water department takes no chances:( There are regular outbreaks of cryptosporidium contamination in USA a most recently Norway, it was never featured as problem in Prague. I bet if numerous people fell ill from drinking tap water it would have made the news.

Lets not spread panic, drinking tap water is perfectly safe, maybe just not most tasty. There is no reason to scare tourist to avoid ice and water in restaurants either; this is no third world country, where you would have to fear diarrhea from your drink.

Calcutta
Level Contributor
61 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drinking water in Prague

I have just returned from Prague andhave drunk water from the tap and faced no problems whatsoever - but honestly in prague why waste time drinking water when the beer - PIVO is the best in the whole wide world.