We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auschwitz day trip from Prague

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Auschwitz day trip from Prague

My husband and I are going to be in Prague in late September and would like to take a day trip tour to Auschwitz. We have been in contact with a couple of tour companies in Prague and seem to be getting conflicting pricing, anywhere from $300 - $800 per couple. Could someone recommend a tour company that has a good reputation? We have read stories of rip off scams. Thank you for any advice you can lend.

Hradec Kralove, CZ
Level Contributor
494 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auschwitz day trip from Prague

Doing a "day trip" from Prague to Auschwitz is nonsense in the first place, imho. You need good 6-7 hours by car just to get there.

Prague
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auschwitz day trip from Prague

Really good is www.wittmann-tours.com, ask for Sylvie (Wittmann), she is the owner and very knowledgeable.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auschwitz day trip from Prague

I've never tried it myself, but bearing in mind how long it takes to get to Krakow, I'd agree with LKHK that it must be at least 6-7 hours drive. The road is appalling.

I know they look close on a map, but you're assuming a decent interstate road, most of the journey only has one lane in each direction and you're stuck behind trucks most of the way

Consider spending the night in Krakow or reining in your ambitions and going to Terezin instead.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auschwitz day trip from Prague

when i was last there, a freind went on the sleeper train there and back, getting a good 8-10 hours to travel from krakow and back and have a decent chunk of time there.

perhaps, depending on packing etc, you could do this and save two nights of hotel money?

Prague
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auschwitz day trip from Prague

thirdpenguin has a good point there, the trip is long and exhausting The visit of the KZ is even more exhausting and haunting. There are some survivors here in Prague, that take visitors to Terezin and also can give your their story. I would recommend Pavel Stransky, who has survived the Holocaust in Terezin and Auschwitz together with (or in his words because of his) wife. If you go to Krakow, make the trip as comfy as possible, that would be my piece of advice.

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auschwitz day trip from Prague

80% of the road to auschwitz from prague is highway. it is a long trip but you will be sitting in a bus. wittmann tours as martina suggests would not charge 800 dollars

Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auschwitz day trip from Prague

Took the day trip out of Prague to Auschwitz with Wittman tours. Highly recommend. Tour guide, Martina, was first class. An award winning author with incredlible knowledge and insight. The countryside was beautiful along the drive.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,589 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auschwitz day trip from Prague

Both of your 'offers' sound like rip-off scams to me. It is too far. Forget it. You need to use Krakow as your base instead. Have a nice trip!

9. Re: Auschwitz day trip from Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 08, 2009