We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is prague still cheap like it used to be a few years ago??

Which Prague hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clifton Beach...
Level Contributor
47 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is prague still cheap like it used to be a few years ago??

A few collegues of mine have been to prague a few years ago and they said it was cheap (e.g 50p a pint) Does this still apply? Or are we talking typical london city prices?! I will be visiting for 5 days in feb.2005. How cold will it be? and do I need thermals?

London, United...
Level Contributor
334 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is prague still cheap like it used to be a few years ago??

It is not as cheap as it used to be, but still very cheap compared to here in the UK.I went last weekend and paid 60 ckr for a beer in a normal bar and about 200ckr in a nightclub Food is also good value with a good meal priced at 200ckr.As for the weather go to www.weather.com for an idea. At the moment it is about 40 Czech Krona to the��1.

london
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Is prague still cheap like it used to be a few years ago??

Beer is cheap but to be honest nothing much else is. A 1 course evening meal for 2 in the old town square with drinks will be about 20 pounds.

Seek out restaurants off the beaten track for traditional Czech fayre at cheaper prices - we had stew with dumplings and beer (delicious) one lunchtime at a little Czech tavern/restaurant down from Petrin Hill - 7 pounds for two. Don't be scared to venture into little hidden cafes/restuarants with menus only in Czech, we were reluctant at first but glad we did as often the food is much better, much cheaper, environment much more authentic and you'll have fun trying to figure out what to eat while the waiter struggles in broken english.

Be careful with restaurant prices, 5 pounds for a dish may seem cheap but they'll often add a cover charge, then service at 15% and on top of all that 19% tax. You order thinking the meal will be about 12 pounds, but always ends up nearer 20 pounds in the tourist eateries.

I found that clothes, shoes, gifts and western products were no cheaper than in the UK - in fact much was overpriced and cheaper back home - don't go thinking you'll grab some designer label bargains. Beer is about 1 pound a pint, even in the tourist bars and if you smoke cigarettes are 1.35 a packet.

Change your money over there - exchange rates seemed to be better. We got 41 Czech Crown at Gatwick Airport - most bureau were offering anything up to 44/1 in Prague.

London
Level Contributor
551 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is prague still cheap like it used to be a few years ago??

The price of beer seems to vary enormously, for example in the Sports Bar just off of the Old Town Square lager was about 2 pounds per pint, but you do get coverage of every football match etc and it is a good atmosphere if youi like sport, but if you turn left at the bottom of Wenceslas Square and then right into the smaller streets like Jilska (where there is a bar/restaurant I think called u vejvodu - handy because it is open to 4am, the kitchen till 2am) you can get small draft beers for well under 50p in the Czech bars. We got three courses of Czech food in the street Vejvodova for about 3 pounds, soup,bread, goulash and dumplings then strudel. The Italian restaurants are usually good value, there is one next to the sports shop near the centre of Wenceslas Square where a pasta dish or pizza with a beer is about 3 quid. The roads directly off of the Old Town Square tend to be more expensive - especially Parizaska - but if you look down the little alleys you should find plenty of cheap interesting bars. We found the Czech wine really cheap in most restaurants and its not bad at all.