We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Prague

New York City, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
First trip to Prague

Hi. My boyfriend and I will be taking our first trip to Prague in mid May (staying for 6 days). This will be my first trip to Europe as well. I have always been fascinated with Prague and I thought that it would be so cool to celebrate my 30th bday over there. Could anyone please let me know where to go for bars/restaurants?...Also, I read about the cruise with lunch and dinner and we want to try it. Would that be a good idea?...Would be interested to know your comments. Thanks.

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Prague

Prague is brilliant. Me and hubbie went for my 30th and had a great time, although we went in December for the Xmas markets when it was snowing etc. Everything is so near and walking distance, best thing is to get a map from your hotel and walk around. If you find Charles Bridge, on either side you will find lots of places to eat and drink. The main restaurants and bars in the Old Town (where the clock is) are much more expensive than the ones down the side streets, and the food wasn't as good either! Have a great time!

burton on trent
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Prague

can deffinately recommend mount steak bar , it is in a cellar off the castle end of charles bridge. 2nd street on right (i think) it is next to a jazz club which is also good. Reasonably priced and great food in a alternatively lit cellar. Have fun we love prague. Also try to find the golden tiger, it is a real spit and sawdust pub used by locals. If you find the cold art neuvo lady who adornes a posh looking jewellery shop you are not far away. enjoy. sally

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Prague

http://www.expats.cz/

Try this site for good tips by expats living there.

The following two are good resources:

http://www.praguepost.com/index.php

http://www.prague-tribune.cz/

surrey
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Prague

If you want a romantic restuarant, then checkout "Palffy Palac" Valdstejnska 14, its situated below the gardens of the castle. Its pricey but excellent, they have a outside area with views across the city and also try "bazaar" nerudova 40,

Also for great views and lunch on a sunny day eat outside at "Ozivle Drevo" strahovske nadvori 1. There is also a micro brewery up here.

For excellent tours. George has a leaflet in the tourist office by the famous clock. He is excellent, he will take you on a choice of tours without 30 other tourists tagging along and he does not walk around with an umbrella!. We did a tour of the countryside south of Prague with George and saw the real czechoslovakia, visit a place called SLAPY, 30 mins drive south.

checkout www.praguemaster.com

Best tip for prague is get up early one morning and walk the town centre at 7-8am its peaceful and you get the best photos before the crowds arrive on the coaches!! at 10 am.

burton on trent
Level Contributor
160 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Prague

also tried palffy palac and although the restaurant was romanticly lit with candles and beautiful music we thought it was over priced. we couldn't fault the food but there just wasn't enough of it. our chaps had to call in for another main course on the way back. Don't get me wrong the food was first class but there just wasn't enough of it. And it was well expensive as was the wine list. Better value restaurant available for less money. May be worth visiting for lunch reasonably priced then. Did like the blue Duckling and although the mount steak was not in the same caliber re cuisine we enjoyed it more.