We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague vs. Amsterdam?

Wyoming
Level Contributor
434 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Prague vs. Amsterdam?

Hi. I'm trying to decide on whether to spend a full week in Amsterdam or Prague. Ideally, we'd be able to split our time up between the 2 cities, but our time and budget are very limited. Amsterdam looks lovely, but I've heard such great things about Prague, too. We don't want to feel rushed, and we're hoping to go somewhere really special and spend a relaxed week exploring.

If you had to choose between the 2 cities, which one would you go with? We're into architecture, historical sites, museums, great food, and just wandering around and soaking up the feel of a place.

Some posters in the Amsterdam forum who've been to both places said that they loved Prague and its beauty, but felt more "embraced" by the warmth of the Dutch, and consider Amsterdam a city to revisit. Any thoughts here?

Thx!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague vs. Amsterdam?

Hi

I would definitely chose Prague over Amsterdam. It has far more history and is infinitely more beautiful. Amsterdam is different, more vibrant I think describes it.

You could stay in Prague for four nights and then three in Amsterdam. I'm sure there are budget airlines between the two cities.

Jackie

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague vs. Amsterdam?

I have been to both recently: NO contest, Prague.

If I were splitting the time, 5 or 6 days prague, 1 or 2 amsterdam. I dont think I would bother to split though. 6 days prague, 1 day/night cesky krumlov (and a day trip to karlsteyn)

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague vs. Amsterdam?

I think we've done this debate already. Search for the previous thread.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague vs. Amsterdam?

Yeah. I remember a post like that, too.

For the record, I was gonna do Sunday, Monday, Tuesday in Amsterdam and then fly out Wednesday morning to Prague and be there Thursday, Friday, Saturday, leaving back to NY Sunday. After research, I discovered that Prague, though not as reasonable as before, is cheaper than Amsterdam. I am now doing 5 days in Prague and a very long layover in Amsterdam.

Level Contributor
8,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague vs. Amsterdam?

tallchief's idea is the best. Have a 2 day layover in amsterdam either at the start or end of your journey. You will then be able to see it all in 2 days. I can't imagine what I would do for a week in amsterdam.

Sky Europe is decent low cost airline which flies prague to amsterdam, which may save money over a through ticket

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague vs. Amsterdam?

Hi

I checked out Sky Europe and couldn't find a connecting flight, the only one I could see was Smart Wings.

Jackie

7. Re: Prague vs. Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, August 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Prague