We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best train stops

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Best train stops

Hi, I will be going to Kutna Hora in some weeks and I plan on visiting the Ossuary which I think is in Sedlec and the Silver Mine, St Barbara the town of Kutna Hora. I read another thread here that talks about 3 different stops in Kutna Hora when you arrive by train, Kutna Hora Mesto, Sedlec and Kutna Hora Main Train Station. I will be arriving from Prague so I suppose the train will stop at Mesto and then at Sedlec and I won't need to go any further than that. I read about a walkable distance or taking the shuttle to go between the ossuary at Sedlec and the other sights in the town of Kutna Hora. If all this information is correct, could someone please advise what's the best itinerary for the day? Should I book the train from Prague to Sedlec and on the way back from Kutna Hora Mesto to Prague? Or should I get off the train in Mesto and then get back on from Sedlec? I had a look on the Czech railway eShop and even though I wasn't sure about the stops it seems that there are no direct trains, is that correct? I'd much rather not have to change and get a direct train if possible. I also don't mind a long walk between Mesto and Sedlec if necessary but if it's not a "pretty and interesting" walk with nice sights I'd rather get the shuttle just to save some precious time.

Thanks for your help!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
19,648 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best train stops

Depending on the weather, you could walk to the Ossurary from K Hora station...The smaller train to Mesto is only 2 stops..Sedlac being the middle one....... by the time the small train leaves KH station, backs up and does it thing and then proceeds to Sedlac-you can pratically be there on foot. (or take the local bus from the station to the ossurary)

From the Ossurary, look for a cab, or take their shuttle provided they have enough riders to get into town. (If you don't see a taxi, ask the desk at at the church to request one for you)

from downtown, I would take a taxi back to K Hora station

(mesto station is still a fair walk to St. Barb., the main square- I rarely if ever bother using this stop)

Edited: 1:39 pm, November 11, 2016
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best train stops

Thank you Tejashombre! So correct me if Im wrong, this would be the best itinerary:

- Train from Prague hlavní nádraží to Kutna Hora hlavní nádraží

- Walk (about 16 mins according to Google Maps) from Kutna Hora hlavní nádraží to Sedlec Ossuary or take bus number 1 or 7 (get off at 2nd stop Sedlec Tabak)

- From Ossuary to Kutna Hora town take a taxi or the tourist shuttle (35 czk per person) to st Barbara

- From Kutna Hora town take taxi to Kutna Hora hlavní nádraží and train back to Prague hlavní nádraží

Do you know more or less how much the taxis would be?

Thanks again! Really appreciate your help

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,648 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best train stops

yes, you got it...

I think I paid 100kc to return to the train station from downtown...less than 4Euro...very worth it IMO

Also, if you haven't come across it yet in your research....have lunch here...for something different they offer wild boar goulash with ginger dumplings...http://www.dacicky.com/ -of course beer and Czech cuisine

Edited: 3:37 pm, November 11, 2016
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best train stops

Wow that sounds so cheap for taxis! Do you find many in the town main square or do you need to call them? Just because I wouldnt have a clue how to ask for that in Czech haha.

Yes I had heard of Dacicky and I was also recommended to go to Restaurace V Ruthardce so I guess it will be one of these two, they both seem so nice :) Is it necessary to book a table for 2 for lunch on a weekday in November or they wouldnt be that busy?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,648 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best train stops

On your return, you can time the direct train but if not, you can simply take any train going back towards Prague./Kolin.....the slower train is only 10mins from K Hora to Kolin--you can simply get off in Kolin and catch one of at least 4 trains an hour which are bound for Prague. I do this in the summer when the crowds of tourists are waiting specifically for the direct train in KH....so, if the shorter, more local train comes along first-I'd hop on it.

------------

Unfortunately now, with the time change it starts getting dark at 4:30pm. I'd possily try to leave for KH about 8am or a little earlier. Ossurary opens at 9am

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best train stops

Thank you again for your precious advice! I suppose then that I do not need to book the train tickets now on the website, I can just get them from the stations on the day? That way , as you said, from Kutna Hora I can take whatever train comes first direct or for Kolin, which I suppose would be not allowed if I had already purchased a ticket for a certain train?

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
42,234 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best train stops

Whether you buy tickets on line or on the day, they will be valid on any train on that route on the day.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best train stops

just a comment.

Im not sure which and if the shuttle was the same, but there was one in front of the Ossuary when i was there in the morning. They told me they wouldn't go unless 4 people were going and the time of departure was 30+ minutes out.

Since it was a nice day, i hoofed it into town.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,648 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best train stops

Simple enough to buy the ticket the day of travel.

If you are interested, from Kolin back to Prague you could take the slower train- the sight-seer double decker train called the Elefant. It takes about 20-25 mins longer as it stops in the smaller places.

…lidovky.cz/09/121/lngal/HS2f8fa3_elefant.jpg

(If you do take the slower train from Kolin to Prague you will end up at the smaller/regional Masarykovo station..which is not a big deal as it is only 1.5 blocks over from the main station)

FYI, timetable display vlaky.net/upload/galeria/006241/235619.jpg

far left column, Os indicates slower train...R with red block are faster trains

For the direct train to KH, in the 5th column the destination will be Brno..in the 6th column-it will flash the various stops along the route...thus, you will see KH pop up.

The direct train to KH is every 2 hours..6:06, 8:06 etc.

(more info that you probably need but it will be less guesswork and maybe offer some variety during your trip)

Enjioy

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
170 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best train stops

Thank you so much everyone for your great advice! Can't wait to go there now :)