We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I Need to Pre-book Train?

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Do I Need to Pre-book Train?

Hi friends,

We are visiting Prague in May for the second time, and decided to take a day to do a day trip. Kutna Hora seems very doable and interesting. I have a few questions that maybe you could help with. We would be traveling (two of us) on either a Monday or a Tuesday (could do either one). Do I need to buy train tickets from Prague in advance? Or can we just show up at the station and buy a ticket there? I think I have figured out that we will have a transfer or two. Once we get to Kutna Hora, what is the best way to the Ossuary? I think I read something about a tourist shuttle that may be there and they require three people? Would a taxi be better?

I guess I'm trying to sort of loosely plan the best options for the day so that we can maximize our time, and any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Vicki

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
19,651 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I Need to Pre-book Train?

Buy the ticket the day of your visit...standard 2nd class is enough. Several trains pass directly to KH....other trains are to Kolin and change and then a very short ride to KH.

direct train 8:06, 10:06, 12:06...return direct 3:01, 5:01, 6:01 ...around 50mins

timetables here...English bottom right

jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusy/spojeni/

You can walk to the ossuary by the time you take the smaller train...you can then take a taxi into town or use their shuttle service from the bone church or just walk ....if the weather is nice, walking is fine....I would suggest taking a taxi back to the train station when you are done...esp if you are tired.....it is not expensive...100kc maybe..$5

---

you wanna have lunch here http://www.dacicky.com/ For something different, have the wild boar goulash with the ginger dumplings.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I Need to Pre-book Train?

Thank you so much! That is fantastic information and we will definitely take you up on your restaurant recommendation.

Vicki

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,327 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I Need to Pre-book Train?

The restaurant that Tejashombre mentions is excellent, great food and excellent beer,it is down a little side street but relatively easy to find.

The Shuttle that is mentioned takes you to just above St Barbora's Church but they wait till they have at least 3 people, last time I used it we were a group of 6 so we did not have to wait , can't remember the price but very cheap.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I Need to Pre-book Train?

Thank you. I've looked at the restaurant's website and it looks fantastic. If the shuttle doesn't have three people, I would think we could just pay for three since it's cheap. We're all about maximizing time (if it doesn't cost much). Thanks for your input. We are so looking forward to our visit!

Vicki

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
19,651 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I Need to Pre-book Train?

FYI- in case you care for a coffee break, this place is/was rated 3rd best in all of Czech Rep.

translated to "The Goat on the Square"

http://www.koziplacek.cz/#

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I Need to Pre-book Train?

Thank you! I'm sure a coffee break will be pleasant after walking around a bit. The website is in Czech, so I'll have to figure it out! But how could one pass up a visit to anyplace called The Goat on the Square??? :-)

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I Need to Pre-book Train?

Hi there, I travel every year from uk to Prague and on from there by rail to watch motorbike racing, as above, never pre booked, would just advise writing the destination down to show them at main station, if your pronunciation is as shaky as ours ! Good luck, , was thinking about visiting KH last year, let us know your views, will also thoroughly recommend Podebrady as an overnight stay , also direct trains, the most pleasant , peaceful place any of us have visited

Paul,

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I Need to Pre-book Train?

Thank you, Paul. I will definitely come back and post some thoughts on KH. Overnight stays are not possible at this point since we have already paid for accommodations. Thanks so much for the advice!

Vicki

Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I Need to Pre-book Train?

Buy your ticket at the main station (hlavní nádraží) in Prague directly before traveling.

The trains run every 2 hours.

Costs something about 80 to 90 czk per Person (one way)

From the main station in Kutná Hora there is a small local train going to "Kutná Hora město", thats where the city center is. Inbetween those two train stations is the stop "Kutná Hora Sedlec", from there it´s a short walking distance to the ossuary.

Use this map:

www.infokam.cz/thumb.php…

The main station is in the eastern part of the city, the city center in the western part and the ossuary in the middle.

If you would like to use this local train within KH, buy your return-ticket in Prague directly from "Praha hlavní nádraží to "Kutná Hora město".

My recommendation:

1. train ride from Prague to the city center (KH-město)

2. visit city center

3. train ride to KH-Sedlec

4. visit the ossuary

5. train ride back to Prague ;)

For train journey times and fares: www.cd.cz/en/

Edited: 3:42 pm, May 02, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I Need to Pre-book Train?

That is fantastic info and simple to follow! We're experienced travelers, but when visiting a new place it's sometimes difficult to envision what you need to do. Thank you so much!

Vicki