We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train ticket from Prague to Kutna Hora

Boston...
Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Train ticket from Prague to Kutna Hora

Hello,

I am planning on taking a day trip from Prague to Kutna Hora to see among other things the Czech Museum of Silver. I was on cd.cz and saw a ticket called SONE+ region Stredocesky that looks like my friend and I can go to Kutna Hora Mesto and back to Prague for 275 Kc, is that the right ticket I should be buying? If so, when I'm in Praha hl.n. do I need to buy this ticket from the ticket counter or is it just as easy to buy this ticket from an automated ticket machine? (Please also let me know if the ticket machines are only in Czech.)

Best,

boston76

Böhmen
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train ticket from Prague to Kutna Hora

You got it wrong. SONE+ is a one-day weekend pass on which a whole family can travel as much as they want.

Just go to the train station 20 mins before your train leaves and buy a regular ticket at the counter. It should cost you some CZK 180 (return).

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train ticket from Prague to Kutna Hora

Write this down and show it to the vendor:

'zpáteční jźdenku do Kutné Hory, prosím' (return ticket to Kutná Hora, please)

I believe the machines also have an English option, but I've never tried it.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,335 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train ticket from Prague to Kutna Hora

Actually, if you intend to travel on Saturday, Sunday or a public holiday - you can buy Sone+ Stredocesky Kraj, valid for 5 people, two of which can be over 15 years old. No need for any family ties. But can use only trains marked R (Rychlik - fast train) or OS (Osobni - slow local train) not EC or Intercity trains.

But if you are only interested in return for 2 people Prague to Kutna Hora and back, then normal group discount ticket for 2, cost almost the same.

276Kc v 275Kc.

So I would not bother with Sone+ and buy tix just on the day, then you can use any train you want.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train ticket from Prague to Kutna Hora

just noticed that there are 2 of you

in that case '2 zpáteční jźdenky do Kutné Hory, prosím' (2 return tickets to Kutná Hora, please)

A group discount should be automatically calculated, but write down '276 Kč' just in case ...

Boston...
Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train ticket from Prague to Kutna Hora

Thank you all for your helpful comments.

I will be traveling on Saturday, which I forgot to mention, so that is probably why the SONE+ ticket popped up as my best fare. Can I not buy those on the day of the trip? It's 1 Kc, so it doesn't make that big a difference.

The conductor on the train will take/validate my ticket, correct? I don't need to validate it or anything, right? I think I've been reading the boards too much about validating Metro/tram/bus tickets and am confusing myself.

Thanks Tilly for the descriptions of what R and Os stand for. I was unable to decipher what the difference between the two was.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
38,335 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train ticket from Prague to Kutna Hora

You can buy Sone+ or a normal ticket in advance or on the day - I would buy it on the day from the ticket office, just get to the station a little bit earlier.

You don't validate, just get on the train and wait for the conductor, absolutely no need to look out for him/her,,,it's their job to find YOU.

If you opt for the normal ticket, I am not stating this as a fact, but I think you need to ask for a group discount (skupinova sleva) because otherwise they might just sell you 2 separate tickets. Group discount means that all the passengers must travel together, which is not always the case when you buy more than one ticket.

Boston...
Level Contributor
208 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train ticket from Prague to Kutna Hora

Thanks again Tilly!

I now have a much better understanding of what I need to do and what to expect at Praha hl.n. when I get there for my day trip to Kutna Hora. Many thanks!

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train ticket from Prague to Kutna Hora

We are a party of 4 travelling to Kutna Hora on a Wednesday. Is there a group discount also available for 4 people travelling together?

Thank you!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
29,545 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train ticket from Prague to Kutna Hora

Yes - it should be applied automatically. A return ticket for four is 552 Crowns (c. €22)

'Zpáteční jizdenku pro 4 osoby (se skupinovou slevu) do Kutné Hory, prosím'

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train ticket from Prague to Kutna Hora

Thank you GCEK!