We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Four to five weeks in the Czech Republic?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
378 reviews
Save Topic
Four to five weeks in the Czech Republic?

Hi folks

Just starting to plan a trip to the Czech Republic from around 22 August to late September this year.

Thought we'd start off with about 8 nights in Prague, and have shortlisted a few apartments for that part of the trip.

Apart from that we are pretty flexible. We'd usually like to stay at least 3 nights in a place, and get apartments where available (less common outside the major cities obviously). We'll be travelling around by train (or bus, where necessary). We are in our late 50s, and interested in history, art, picturesque regional towns, good food, and local produce markets. Unfortunately our days of serious hiking are behind us.

While we'll obviously be doing a lot of research we'd appreciate any suggestions as to places we should try and include in an itinerary.

Thanks in advance

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
9,888 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Four to five weeks in the Czech Republic?

Oh I envy you. You'll have time to explore the country thoroughly and see much much more than what the average tourist does (95% of the posts on this forum are about Prague and Cesky Krumlov and nothing else).

Last year I took a one-week tour through the southern parts of Bohemia and Moravia and would have loved to have more time. Places I particularly liked include Telc, Trebon, Olomouc, Ceske Budejovice (Czech speakers, apologies for the misspellings, please imagine the missing "thingies" on some letters).

Brno surely deserves a couple of days.

The palaces and parks of Lednice and Valtice can easily keep you busy for a full day; I also hear that nearby Mikulov is beautiful (we didn't go there).

I also loved Karlovy Vary which I visited on an earlier occasion, while I found Marianske Lazne pretty but somehow sleepy.

praha
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Four to five weeks in the Czech Republic?

other places to mention could be (and yes Mikulov is beautiful) :

Kutna Hora, Czech Saxony Switzerland (beautiful country side), Cesky Raj (also nature area),

Zelena Hora http://www.zelena-hora.eu/en/

you can go to Dresden for the day

and there are numerous castles around, Karstejn, Konopiste, Orlik, Hluboka, Krumlov, Zvikov , Krivioklat to name a few.....

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Four to five weeks in the Czech Republic?

Some more about Brno tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g274714-i1153-k6…

You can easily spend your 4-5 weeks just in this area - there is loads to see and do/generally chill out

More about Olomouc: …latimes.com/2003/jun/15/travel/tr-olomouc15

Mikulov is great for about 3 days - small but a surprising amount to do, and Lednice/Valtice are nearby. I always find new things there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Four to five weeks in the Czech Republic?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far- I'll go off and do a bit of homework on them. I'll be back!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,498 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Four to five weeks in the Czech Republic?

September will have a lot of harvest festivals esp. wine festivals in S. Moravia.

You might consider Mikulov SEPT 12-14

http://www.palavske-vinobrani.cz/

some Jewish history/cemetery as well

FYI, burčák is popular at that time..early wine, the first state of fermintation.

you can walk around and sample different varieties

spiciefoodie.com/2011/…

Znojmo has a wine festival and in one of the better/best festivals in CR. (Miklulov would be a smaller scale and more elbow room...i.e. less crowded). Seems like the festivals coincide this year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AFEUAmjagQ

------------

one of my favorite places is the area of Cesky Stramberk. Hotel Gong. Visited on 3 occasions

http://www.stramberk.info/en/

in that general area, I also enjoy the Roznov area...outdoor musuem, historic homes/farm houses, weekend entertainment/folklore

vmp.cz/en/…

north carolina
Level Contributor
389 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Four to five weeks in the Czech Republic?

We loved Olomouc. It was more authentic . Also really enjoyed Dresden as well if you need a different kind of adventure.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
814 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Four to five weeks in the Czech Republic?

Since you spend such a long time there you should consider to rent a car. Many sights, especially castles and villages, but also some mountains, aren't accessible by public transport. A car gives you a lot more freedom. I would select 5 or 6 bases in the different parts of the country and do day trips from there.

And I highly recommend to spend a lot of time on this site (turn on "Monuments - tourist attractions"):

http://www.tourmaps.cz/

The country offers much more than most English travel guides will tell you, which probably concentrate only on Prague and 4 or 5 other places. The linked site shows you *everything*.

Some places I really like (all in Northern Bohemia):

Bohemian Switzerland/Saxon Switzerland - wonderful picturesque mountains on both sides of the border which are great for hiking

Spa triangle - don't just visit Karlovy Vary but also Marianske Lazne, Frantiskovy Lazne, Loket and Cheb

Bohemian Paradise - beautiful mountains with some nice castles, among them Kost, a cool castle with a annoying guided tour

Adrspach-Teplice Rocks - bizarre mountains in a very rural region. Broumov and the nearby mountains are also beautiful

Sv. Petr in the Krkonosze mountains - if you want to know how the former Sudetenland once looked

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Four to five weeks in the Czech Republic?

Thanks everyone.

I've done some homework and think that I probably should concentrate on the south east of the country. Places on the shortlist (after Prague, of course) are Olomouc, Mikulov (and Lednice and Valtice), Trebon, Telc and Cesky Krumlov (sorry GCEK, maybe next trip).

Is there a logical order, using public transport, to get to these places without backtracking to Prague?

Our next destination after the Czech Republic will be either Munich or Frankfurt. Would I need to head back into Prague to get an international train, or would some of these towns be on an international rail line into Germany?

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,498 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Four to five weeks in the Czech Republic?

none of those are on the line to Germany...look into visiting Plzen, home of Pilsner Urquell brewery..lots of WW!! history. pro US as US liberated this portion of Czecko.

within Czech mix of buses/trains are possible...lots of info about Student Agency Bus

schedules here...English button bottom right jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusy/spojeni/

for Olomouc, look into taking the nicer/newer trains such as Leo Express or RegioJet

Edited: 12:21 am, February 10, 2014
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,202 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Four to five weeks in the Czech Republic?

If you are going to all those places you will inevitably hit Brno, so check it out! It's beguiling - one if those places that you will want to keep going back to, or even staying forever, so I don't blame you for feeling a bit wary.