We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prague to Brno by train

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Prague to Brno by train

I plan to travel by train from Prague to Brno on 09 April (Easter Monday), which is a national holiday, and I wonder:

Is it better to buy tickets in advance, online, or can I simply buy them at the station on the day?

How can I be sure to find the most speedy train?

I would much appreciate any recommendations and tips (refreshments, facilities, ease of boarding etc).

Thanks in advance!

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,841 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prague to Brno by train

http://www.cd.cz/en/#

From the above Czech railways website, for timetable From Prague to Brno pick the EC trains.....below each there is a time it takes for the journey.

You can easily buy tickets on the day, even just before the departure, but you will pay more than buying a 'sporo' ticket from the eshop on line. You print it at home, but it is a voucher only, the ticket will then have to be picked up at the station (with your voucher).

Check it out...when you click top line eshop, then for English click 'en' top right.

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prague to Brno by train

Many thanks indeed

Didact

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,230 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prague to Brno by train

Cheapest of all is the bus - Student Agency. These go very regularly and you can just turn up at Florenc bus station and get a ticket - they have free wi-fi, DVDs, free refreshments, etc.

Because of the competition from the bus, Czech Railways have introduced a special offer between the cities:

www.cd.cz/en/infoservis/aktuality/-12594/

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prague to Brno by train

Many thanks, GCEK, this is good to know, and I will check it out.

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,230 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prague to Brno by train

On Easter Monday there are buses every 30 minutes - as I said above there is therefore no real need to book in advance, but if you really want you can do do here www.studentagency.eu

UK
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prague to Brno by train

Just to complete the thread...I made the trip there and back by train, taking the express service which makes a stop at Brno en route to and from Vienna.

I bought the tickets at the station on the day which allowed me flexibility with airport connection. Very affordable compared with UK railfares, very comfortable and spot on time. Lovely views along the way, and reasonable but expensive dining car /buffet. Next time I will take a picnic.

Edited: 12:36 pm, February 12, 2013
7. Re: Prague to Brno by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 14, 2014