We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hunter Valley Restaurant Reservations

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Hunter Valley Restaurant Reservations

Hi!

My husband, toddler & I will be spending two nights (Wednesday & Thursday) at the Hunter Valley in May.

Just wondering whether I will need restaurant reservations or if things are fairly quiet midweek,keeping in mind that dinnertime with a toddler is around 5.30pm.

Also, child friendly restaurant recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
15,167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hunter Valley Restaurant Reservations

Mid week is usually quiet but it never hurts to make a booking.

Sorry, can't help with the child friendly recommendations except for Harrigans Irish Pub. They have a beer garden where kids could run around.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hunter Valley Restaurant Reservations

eatability have a list of child friendly HV restaurants.

eatability.com.au/au/…

i think u would be pretty safe midweek at 5:30pm without a booking.

maybe some aren't even open at that time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hunter Valley Restaurant Reservations

I also agree you should be okay through the mid week.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hunter Valley Restaurant Reservations

a lot of places do not open till 6 ..suggest maybe you check times for the one you end up picking ..and on the safe side ..make a booking

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,561 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hunter Valley Restaurant Reservations

I'd find a place that whets your appetite, either on eatability, urbanspoon or another foodie website, then give them a call. You can (a) make sure they have a table - shouldn't be a problem unless they are booked out for a private function, (b) find out what time they open and (c) find out if they have high chairs. If they say no then it's probably not very child friendly and you can keep searching.

Last thing you need when eating out with a toddler is driving round for ages looking for somewhere to eat or getting the appetite ready for somewhere with rave reviews only to discover when you get there that there's a wedding reception on!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
82 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hunter Valley Restaurant Reservations

Thank you everyone for your replies!

After Googling around I have noted that some restaurants aren't open midweek either, so I agree it's a good idea to narrow down my choices and give them a call.

Boy how things change when you are travelling with a toddler!!!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
296 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hunter Valley Restaurant Reservations

Potter's Tavern is another suggestion. I think they might even have a courtesy bus, so mum and dad can both enjoy a drop.

8. Re: Hunter Valley Restaurant Reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 pm, June 18, 2013