We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two bedroom cottage in Hunter Valley

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Two bedroom cottage in Hunter Valley

Hello,

I was after some advice about where to stay in the Hunter.

We will be two couples leaving our kids and heading up to the Hunter for two nights in July. We want a self contained cottage with a fireplace and kitchen facilities. The problem is there are sooo many to choose from - where do we start?

Also can anyone recommed the best way to get around the Hunter in the day. We want to all have a few wines so should we do a tour or does anyone know of a private tour?

I guess because of this our cottage should be central is that right?

Thanks for the advice

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two bedroom cottage in Hunter Valley

Thistle Hill Guest house at Pokolbin is exactly what you are looking for as it has a guest cottage as well as rooms at the homestead.

We stayed in May 2010 if you want to check out the review.

We hired a car and took turns to drive.

Good luck.

Buck

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two bedroom cottage in Hunter Valley

Most of the major wineries are around Pokolbin, Lovedale, Rothbury etc. further out is Broke and the Upper Hunter.

I would try and stay around Pokolbin as there is a lot more there. Traveling you will need a car or a tour as its very spread out.

Try www.winecountry.com.au for more info

I went up for a concert recently and stayed here http://www.beltanavillas.com.au/

Very new and lovely, unsure about the fireplace though.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
209 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two bedroom cottage in Hunter Valley

Thank you both very much - they both look great.

Now to get some quotes!

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two bedroom cottage in Hunter Valley

Start by visiting the main tourism site for Hunter Valley Wine Country or the boutique accommodation sites such as http://www.lovedalehuntervalley.com.au. We visit the area every year and have stayed at Mount View Lodges, Manzanilla Ridge and Blackwattle Luxury Retreats and we were very happy with all three.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
315 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two bedroom cottage in Hunter Valley

Plenty of ways to get around, from limos, hire cars, to Harleys, Karaoke buses, even horse and cart. One recommendation would be Balloons Aloft at Rothbury. An early morning balloon flight is sensational, and chilly enough to shake off last night's red wine. Cottage doesn't have to be Central, you can always start at the opposite end and make your way home.

I'd be careful too. July is school holidays.

6. Re: Two bedroom cottage in Hunter Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, June 17, 2013