We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hunter Valley Trip

Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Hunter Valley Trip

Hi, we will rent a car and drive to Hunter Valley for a day trip and we'll be back to Sydney City at the end of the day. I am a Filipino and this is our first time to go to Australia and I am very excited. I know Hunter Valley is a huge place, perhaps you can give me specific spots to visit and how to go to those place. I rented a GPS device handy because I really don't have an idea how to go to those places. I would appreciate your advice and will really be helpful for our honeymoon trip :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hunter Valley Trip

Have a look in the "More about the Hunter Valley" box immediately above & to the right of your post.

That will give you a start - come back with any other specific questions.

Sydney
Level Contributor
19 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hunter Valley Trip

Th best place to start your visit when you arrive will be the main Hunter Valley Tourist Office, which is on Wine Country Drive. You can speak to the staff there and pick up any info that you may need.

Apart from the big chain hotels, you may like to consider other options for accommodation if you want a real Australian experience - there are lots of gorgeous cottages in the Mount View, Hermitage Road and Lovedale areas which are all part of the main Hunter Wine Country area. You can choose to stay right in a vineyard itself, or in a quiet Australian bush area with kangaroos nearby. The staff at the tourist office can also help you to choose, and to book you in, or check out the "specialty lodging" section of Trip Advisor for Hunter Valley. Prices are much cheaper midweek, as Sydney-siders descend on the weekends, although not everything will be open every day midweek.

Hunter Valley Gardens would be worth a visit. Also try the local cheeses at Binnorie Dairy. For wine tasting: over the years that we have spent visiting the area, we have learnt to avoid some of the biggest and showy cellar doors. You will usually get much better service at the smaller cellar doors. Brokenwood, Briar Ridge, Gartelmann, the new Gundog Estate, Allandale and Scarborough are some of our favourites. The people at the cellar door are often the same ones who make the wine or grow the grapes.

Restaurants? Recently we have enjoyed Leaves and Fishes in Lovedale, Bistro Molines in Mount view, Muse Kitchen, Muse restaurant (there are two), Tilly's Wood Fired Pizzas, which are all good. Some other places, which are not mentioned here, have been disappointing, although others may have had different experiences. Prices are not cheap if you are on a budget (except at Tilly's), so self-contained accommodation may be an option to bring home and enjoy some of the local produce.

3. Re: Hunter Valley Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, June 06, 2013