We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay in Ronda and Arcos de la Frontera

Which Ronda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
80 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
How long to stay in Ronda and Arcos de la Frontera

I am finalizing the last leg of a 3 week trip in Spain, which will include Ronda, Arcos, Sevilla and Cordoba.

While I know how much to stay in Sevilla and Cordova (have been there before), I have hard time figuring out how long I should stay in Ronda and Arcos. I was thinking 1 day and 1 night in each, but was wondering if I should stay one more day in one of them.

I don't drive and all my traveling is with public transportation, and am planning to take train from Granada to Ronda in early morning, spend the day and the night, then next morning bus to Arcos, spend the day and the night, then bus to Sevilla the following late morning or early afternoon. Is this reasonable?

Thanks for your advice.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long to stay in Ronda and Arcos de la Frontera

Yes, that is very reasonable, you will love all three places. It is a shame while on the way to Arcos from Ronda you couldn't stop and visit Grazalema for a couple of hours, another beautiful town. Good luck and have fun. Hubie

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,929 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long to stay in Ronda and Arcos de la Frontera

Last time I took the bus from Arcos to Seville it left at 3.30 in the afternoon (there was an early morning one but I gave that a miss) so you can spend a night and evening plus morning and lunch then you're on your way. LOS AMARILLOS do the bus.

As an alternative you could always take the bus into Jerez (takes about 35 minutes) then take a train or another bus if you're lucky up to Seville.

So I guess if you arrive into Ronda by mid morning (if that's your plan) then leave following morning or indeed afternoon for Arcos by the COMES bus then it should work out fine.

However sometimes you think to yourself, hey I like what I see, or some local feria is happening etc so make your plan a little flexible !!

The idea of doing a side trip to Grazalema by bus is possible but you would need some more time in Ronda. There is a bus that leaves Ronda at 12.30 and you can pick up the return from Grazalema at 16.15 (Los Amarillos) Journey time is about 40 minutes.

Or as a completely alternative idea you can take the train from Ronda down through the hills to the end at Algeciras passing in the distance Gibraltar. And at Algeciras cross over to the San Bernardo bus station and take the first LINESUR bus up to Jerez, and then the bus over to Arcos. !

or I have just thought. Take the bus out to Grazalaema at 12.30 which continues down to Ubrique. At Ubrique you can take a bus to Arcos. Again look up times with Los Amarillos. That Ubrique-Arcos bus does call at one or two 'indirect' stops so takes around one hour at least.

What time of the year do you plan this trip?

Edited: 4:15 pm, August 13, 2011
New York
Level Contributor
80 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long to stay in Ronda and Arcos de la Frontera

Thanks for your suggestions, Hubie and CadizLover. They are very helpful.

I would love to stop in Grazalema on my way to Arcos, but wasn't sure if that was possible. I also would love to see Zahara. It is hard to figure out which bus goes where, and the Amarillos website is not very user friendly.

I am going to Andalucia during the 2nd week of November, so have time to work out the details. And I can stay an extra day in either Ronda or Arcos and where is better, that was actually what I was wondering if I should do so that I can see other pueblos blancos. Should I also spend some time in Jerez, say 1/2 day? It will not be a Thursday, so the equestrian show is not an option.

Thank you again.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,929 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long to stay in Ronda and Arcos de la Frontera

The bus schedule at the present time for Zahara Sierra is on Transportes Generales Comes bus web site under CADIZ-PUEBLOS BLANCOS see:

http://www.tgcomes.es/horarios_16_english.htm

Only 2 per day.

You can also get some better ideas nearer the time of your visit from Ronda Turismo web site who publish times of buses etc at :

www.turismoderonda.es/informacion/eng/bus.htm

Open the PDF file.

But check the schedules nearer the time of your trip although times may not alter much if at all.

If you stay over in Arcos then you could always go to Seville via Jerez instead of taking the Arcos-Seville bus. But always a question about what to do with your baggage during the visit because as far as I know there are no lockers at Jerez station nor bus station next door.

Sussex
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long to stay in Ronda and Arcos de la Frontera

I would allocate the extra time to Ronda - it is such a great base and there is easily enough to do to fill several days. Also it has good train links to Granada, and to other white towns like Antequera (large) Jimer de Libar (very small) and all sizes inbetween.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,646 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long to stay in Ronda and Arcos de la Frontera

The small towns are the greatest of them all, less chance of tourists, just so much fun. You can set in those small plaza's and even get a convention with some Spanish people if you like. Yes SMALL is alwas better. Hubie

7. Re: How long to stay in Ronda and Arcos de la Frontera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 11, 2012