We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Ronda & Hill Towns

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
622 posts
479 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Ronda & Hill Towns

On the advice of TA experts, we have decided to drive to Ronda on our base in Estepona. We noted that it is an easy 1 hour plus drive but want to include some of the other hill towns on our day trip.

Please provide suggestions for what we can see in a day trip. Which are the best towns and an itinerary from Estepona. We will be there in November

Thanks in advance!

Nashville
Level Contributor
181 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving to Ronda & Hill Towns

Thanks from me too for this information. We'll be driving in late October, from Granada to Cadiz, spending one night in Ronda. I love maps. And this book is helpful too, for those of us who like to explore the countryside and its villages: _Backroads of Spain_ from Eyewitness Travel. It has more than 20 trip suggestions, all inspiring. Maps and hotel/restaurant suggestions are included.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving to Ronda & Hill Towns

TNexplorer, have not heard of that book, l will have to find a copy and enjoy like you are doing. Thanks. Hubie

Washington DC
Level Contributor
756 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving to Ronda & Hill Towns

So glad I found this post.I am waiting on my local AAA to get the maps in and hopefully today they should arrive today. We will be in Seville and had planned on driving to Ronda on a Sunday, spending about 3 hours before heading on to Marbella and our time share. So now my question is should be leave Seville on Sat. explore the area headed toward Ronda and then either see Ronda that day and spend the night there and explaore the villages on Sunday. We cannot check into the time share until 4PM. Any suggestions. I realize that it is not enough time but it is what we have. Thanks so much.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving to Ronda & Hill Towns

Collector, most say you can see Ronda in a half of a day, l can't and have been there many times. I'm not a museum type guy, i'm a guy that likes to look at beauty, and the Ronda area has so much beauty to see, each and every white town has its own beauty. With that being said, l would leave Seville sometime Sat, drive around a few white towns and spend the night in either Grazalema (a must see), or in Ronda, but Ronda is soooooo beautiful at night. On Sunday you can finish up in Ronda, and see as much as you can, then head South to Marbella. I do not want to take time away from Seville if you have never been, Seville in its own way is so beautiful too. Ronda is not far from Marbella for day trips if my plan does not work, good luck and have fun. Hubie

Washington DC
Level Contributor
756 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving to Ronda & Hill Towns

thanks so much. Do you have any hotel recommendations for either Grazalema or Ronda? I have the AAA map and my European GPS, and will buy that book Backroads of Spain, but since I have never driven in this part of Spain, I understand that the driving will be more challenging than on a flat land. Hopefully by the time we depart Seville i will be refreshed on driving a standard shift car. Thanks again.

Nashville
Level Contributor
181 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Driving to Ronda & Hill Towns

Our experience driving in Spain -- we did a 2 week trip from Torla in the Pyrenees to Santiago de Compostela via the Picos de Europa (starting and ending at the Madrid airport) is to add at least 50% time to the driving estimates. (We were using Google maps.) That will allow you time for sightseeing detours while driving -- such as going through a town rather than bypassing it. For our trip through Andalusia, we'll do no more than 150 miles in a day, with 2-3 nights each at some stops.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Driving to Ronda & Hill Towns

Collector, my last 2 or 3 times l have not been overly inpressed with my choices, but l go cheap, or even hostels, but have heard great reviews on (en Frente Arte), in Ronda, go to there home page and see what you think. Have never spent the night in Grazalema, sorry so can't really judge, l will get you a name of a couple of places. Hubie

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Driving to Ronda & Hill Towns

Collector, talked to my friend and he likes Villa Turistica de Grazalema, and has stayed a couple of times. There is a 4 star hotel in town, Hotel Fuerte Grazalema, have seen the latter, seems to be a nice with a pool. Not sure what l was thinking but you can go to Grazalema travel forum and look, there are not many, would think they might be cheaper than Ronda. Hubie

19. Re: Driving to Ronda & Hill Towns

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 23, 2012