We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Granada to Ronda, Trains are blocked from March 5th?!

Which Ronda hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
662 posts
Save Topic
Granada to Ronda, Trains are blocked from March 5th?!

Yesterday I was doing a test run on booking and was able to get to ID page by doing one day at a time to move to the last date available to purchase - April 19. I cannot use calendar to get there.

My date is April 20th, so I need to wait one day.

Tonight when it is available to book, it shows Train Blocked, or Tren Bloqueado

Does this mean Renfe is re-doing its schedule hence nothing can be booked from March 6th onward?

We already have 1 night hotel at Ronda booked, and later the hotel at Seville as well as Cordoba, finally at Madrid. All booked.

Seville to Cordoba have full schedule available for April 20th, but only 1 for April 21. I need April 22 so still need to wait 2 more days.

I suppose Train is the most sensible way from Granada to Ronda, but is there also a Bus line serving that route?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,734 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Granada to Ronda, Trains are blocked from March 5th?!

I am fairly certain that Spanish railways update their complete schedules twice a year and the Summer schedule is normally loaded from around middle of April so it could be that you will need to wait a while before any ticket purchase can be made as nobody knows when the Summer schedule is loaded on the web site. In any event I would wait until next month to take a another look as Granada to Ronda is served by the Media Distancia train and very much doubt if it gets sold out. Same with the Seville - Cordoba route that has local regional trains as well as the AVE and the ALVIA so options for getting between these cities.

As regards buses between Granada and Ronda, you could take one of the regular buses going down to Malaga see:

www.alsa.es

-- then change bus at Malaga for the one for Ronda --

http://www.losamarillos.es/venta/busqueda.jsp

Also see :

turismoderonda.es/informacion/…transporte.htm

Edited: 2:42 am, February 18, 2011
FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
662 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Granada to Ronda, Trains are blocked from March 5th?!

The Seville to Cordoba train schedule is available as the normal 62 days in advance.

The Cordoba to Madrid train schedule also is available as expected.

I dont worry about the above 2 as you said, they have plenty of options among different types of trains serving those routes.

The Granada to Ronda route worries me though I tend to agree that route should not be sold out in April, especially going the direction of Ronda as I dont believe Ronda is a big destination for Holy Week but Granada may be.

About Alsa.es site, I already look - but it does not give the Origin and Destination in either Spanish or English - there is no drop down menu to choose from for the cities... It is simply blank...

I look at rental car option (Seville r/t) but the rate is outrageous. Spain is so much more expensive than France for rental car. I can get 8 days Avis compact rental at approx $350, but 1 single day at Seville is $130... This is unreal.

FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
662 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Granada to Ronda, Trains are blocked from March 5th?!

I dont understand why the drop down menu for choosing city does not work on ALSA website - is it a pop up window that is blocked by popup blocker? or it simply is the site currently not working?

Lake Vinuela...
Level Contributor
9,535 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Granada to Ronda, Trains are blocked from March 5th?!

Just tried the alsa site and the drop down menus are not working here either. This site is somewhat tempramental so try again later and it may well be back in use.

FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
662 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Granada to Ronda, Trains are blocked from March 5th?!

Oh, the problem of being around the middle of April - We will be on a cruise at that time! In fact we leave for a 15 days cruise on April 3rd and wouldn't reach Barcelona until April 18th. Vueling already canceled our BCN-GRX noon flight and now we are on the 18:00hr flight as the other flight Veuling initially rebooked us was 07:00, our ship does not arrive until 7:30!!!

This is just one of the many sudden schedule changes that happen...

May be we pick the wrong country!

FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
662 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Granada to Ronda, Trains are blocked from March 5th?!

Actually most Spanish sites seem to be like that ... very behind the curve...

Such as the Renfe Granada to Ronda schedule - they disable the schedule from March 6th onward - that is 5 to 6 weeks to Mid April where the semi-annual schedule supposedly to take place...

And there is not a single word of announcement about what happen and when it would have schedule...

Edited: 3:05 am, February 18, 2011
FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
662 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Granada to Ronda, Trains are blocked from March 5th?!

Now the Renfe website shows all 3 trains are FULL - including the next day!

ALSA bus website is now working. I see there are enough buses to go between Granada and Malaga.

However I keep getting this error message

no hay servicios selecciona otros criterios de búsqueda

from Los Amarillos site when I try to check the bus schedule between Malaga and Ronda.

Anyone knows what is causing this?

Also is there another bus company serving this route?

I dont want to give up Ronda, especially we have a one night prepaid nonrefundable hotel booked there, but if I cannot find a means to go there, we would need to skip it and go to Seville directly...

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Granada to Ronda, Trains are blocked from March 5th?!

FLL et al,

March and April is too early for the bi-annual possible schedule and almost certain price revisions, which will start to cause confusion for dates in May and early June and will be complete for all routes by 12th June 2011.

FLL,

I am going to suggest that the sometimes eccentric RENFE website is having yet another moment.

Input the two step journey for 20th April of Granada to Antequera and then Antequera to Ronda and you will find that these journeys are available, ergo the train is not full. Continue to monitor. If this does not resolve by Thursday 24th Feb. and you do not have alternate ways from Granada to Ronda from anyone else, I will help.

Best wishes.

Edited: 5:42 am, February 19, 2011
FLL
Florida
Level Contributor
662 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Granada to Ronda, Trains are blocked from March 5th?!

Oh, I wish I read your post a bit earlier... or learn about this separating the segment technique earlier... It is almost like booking an airline award ticket - sometimes the full trip said no seat available but when you check it segment by segment, lo and behold there are seats...

Also I was not able to check bus schedule on Los Amarillos site which keeps giving me error message saying I did not check necessary field to search but I did! Besides, the combo of Granada to Malaga to Ronda means a total of 5+ hours bus ride... just too much trouble to do it.

So we made a decision to scrape Ronda from our itinerary as thankfully I booked a cancellable hotel at Ronda. We would now go to Seville directly via ALSA bus,

Anyway, we were busy this morning showing our old car to a buyer and then after the sale concluded we delivered the car to his home because the car would have no license once it is sold. (We will transfer the registration to our new car, save us $400.)

We were so beat after that and I went to take a nap. Woke up at around 6:30pm our time, found Renfe was sill showing Train Full.

Get this, last night the Supra Economy at 12:00noon has only a pair seats sold. The normal buses no seat was sold. When I checked at 6:30pm tonight, there was only a pair left not sold on the noon departure Supra!!!

At a panic I promptly bought the last pair of seats. So now we would go to Seville instead and leave Ronda alone.

We could, utilizing our cruise port days that would overnight at Cadiz (a full 36 hours) to take a bus from Cadiz to Ronda in the morning, then return the next morning - but the 3 hours one-way bus ride is a bit too much...

So the bottom line is, we will now take ALSA bus from Granada to Seville. I have booked a cancellable at Seville for this. The following night is planned at Seville and already has a non-refundable booking at a different hotel. We would need to change hotels but given the Holy Week I feel I am lucky actually to find a reasonable lodging at this last minute change - it was the last room available when I booked it on Booking.com.

However, I am still interested in learning how to get around this type of situation in the future so if you dont mind to either post it on this thread (so it would help others and in future via search function), or PM me. I would appreciate it.

Right now I need to buy Renfe tickets Seville to Cordoba, but the site seemingly is down in its 2300 to 0700 CEST time frame...

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,734 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Granada to Ronda, Trains are blocked from March 5th?!

"Half the fun of the travel is the esthetic of lostness"