We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Description of Machu Picchu tickets

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
Description of Machu Picchu tickets

There are three or four options for tickets to get into Machu Picchu.

Is there a description somewhere for what they include?

What is the difference between them?

Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu Mountain, & Wayna Picchu tickets

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,741 posts
118 reviews
1. Re: Description of Machu Picchu tickets

The first is the basic entry to the site. The other two include optional hikes. Huayana Pucchu is the mountain you see in the background of most MP photos. MP mountain is on the opposite side. If you want to climb one of those it costs extra.

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
135 reviews
2. Re: Description of Machu Picchu tickets

wes is correct and if you google either Machu Picchu Mountain hike, or Huayna Picchu hike you will find a wide variety of blogs, photos and videos to help you decide if either of these options will be right for you.

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: Description of Machu Picchu tickets

I did what Lyle suggested and found that Huayna is quicker but might be a little scarier but the M.P. Mountain hike is twice as long and takes more energy but has a better view from the top. It was suggested that you don't have to go to the top of the Mountain hike to get a good view. I've also heard of Sungate trail which is free.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,741 posts
118 reviews
4. Re: Description of Machu Picchu tickets

You do not have to climb either mountain to get a good view. Honestly, I think the views are better from in the site because you're closer. The mountains give you more of an aerial view. You can hike to the Sun Gate for no extra charge. You do have to pay to get into Machu Picchu to hike to the Sun Gate, so you need the basic entrance ticket.

If you've ever hiked in the mountains before, you will not find HP scary at all. It's a pretty straight forward hike.

kansas
Level Contributor
162 posts
64 reviews
5. Re: Description of Machu Picchu tickets

Well Wes, I have hiked mountains but the photos that I've seen look like these go straight up. I've been to Glacier and Banff on gradual inclinations. My main reason is to see Machu Picchu so I wonder how much time I would be consuming be taking these hikes. An aerial view of the place would be nice! I suppose I wouldn't have to go the whole way. Does Sun Gage have any altitude? I'm not in bad shape but I don't want to hike for three hours and be too sore to tour M.P.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,742 posts
824 reviews
6. Re: Description of Machu Picchu tickets

The hike will not take 3-4 hours.

Forcsure you do not need to go all the way to the top but you do not always have an unobstructed view until you reach the top.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17,741 posts
118 reviews
7. Re: Description of Machu Picchu tickets

The angle must make it look more severe. There were people running to the top of Hp in 20 minutes. It took us 3.5 hours round trip with a little rest time at the top. If you have hiked in Glacier, you won't find this trail hard.

Edited: 9:12 am, March 20, 2015
Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
135 reviews
8. Re: Description of Machu Picchu tickets

Yes the Sun Gate will give you some altitude, it is close to the same as Huayna Picchu (little lower I think), but the angle you are looking at Machu Picchu is not as good, you will only see about 60% or so of the site from the Sun Gate. It is a nice hike though and I thought it was worth the time. Most of the trail is a gentle incline with only a few steep parts.

Edited: 10:33 am, March 20, 2015
9. Re: Description of Machu Picchu tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 21, 2016