We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MP/Cusco trip in June 2019 - MTB and horseback ride opinions

Chester, New Jersey
Level Contributor
42 posts
43 reviews
MP/Cusco trip in June 2019 - MTB and horseback ride opinions

Looking for advice on this itinerary and on bike tours,...have not seen too much about those in the forum.

ideally, it may look like this:

Arrive on Sunday and acclimate to cusco, shop, explore, no touring. Inti Raymi in Cusco on Monday, then Tuesday take off for sacred valley, OT and MP with a return to Cusco on Thursday. I plan to go home on Saturday afternoon so that leaves me with Friday to plan an extra activity. I will have my 16 yr old daughter and 13 yr old son with me on this trip.

Some of the things that looked fun are horeseback riding and bike tours. Two bike tours got my interest - a ride down abra malaga (road, not MTB track) with KB Tambo or Ortiz tours or a trip to Humantay Lake and a bike ride back down the dirt road from Soraypampa to Mollepata (2 hours?) using Inkaltitude tours. Alternatively, there is a company called Sacred Wheels who does easier bike tours in the sacred valley. The Abra Malaga and Humantay trip look to be a bit difficult and I might rule out Abra Malaga as it's on a road with car traffic. The horseback ride might be something like devils balcony from Cusco or somewhere else we did not see in sacred valley. Not interested in zip lining or rafting or the death march to "rainbow" mountain.

So, looking for opinions on a good bike tour that my kids can come on - they are smaller and would require bikes that are smaller than adult size - so I guess i have to check to see if the tour operators have that equipment. Would love to know if anyone has done any of these. And looking for opinions on a fun horseback ride in case the biking thing is a fail

Thanks!

1 reply
Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: MP/Cusco trip in June 2019 - MTB and horseback ride opinions

Normally I would have suggested to go to Ollantaytambo first as it is lower in elevation and better for acclimatizing (the best order is Ollantaytambo and Machu Picchu first and Cusco last). But that won't work if you want to go to Inti Raymi (expect it to be very crowded).

Tuesday to Friday could be for the Sacred Valley and MP. I can't help with the bike tour but look at horseback riding to Moray and the Maras salineras. Maybe Ollantaytambo Tuesday. Wednesday Chinchero, Moray and Maras salineras. Thursday MP (I recommend hiking up a mountain at MP). I suggest taking a train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes (for MP) and a train back to Ollantaytambo. Friday Pisac (walk down from the top of the ruins to the town) and the ruins north of Cusco (Tambomachay to Sacsayhuaman) on the way back to Cusco.

Reply to: MP/Cusco trip in June 2019 - MTB and horseback ride opinions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted