We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 9 days in the Amazon visiting the Urarina Tribes

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 9 days in the Amazon visiting the Urarina Tribes

Just returned from a fantastic trip which involved traveling from the US to Lima, to Iquitos and then meeting our guide, Gary Lighthall and his crew to take the most amazing trip (amazongary@hotmail.com)

Gary picked us up at the La Casa Fitzcarraldo and we drove 1 1/2 hours to Naulta where we caught the rapid launcha to Ollanta. Overnight in Ollanta where Gary's crew and two long boats were waiting.

It took another full day and 1/2 to reach the first of the Urarina villages but it was so worth it. Gary bought items to trade with the people and trade they did! They wanted batteries, fabrics, flashlights, shotgun shells, beads, knives etc and they traded handmade crafts such as baskets, weavings. We stayed in school houses/community centers (a tented city) so that we would be out of the rain. Rained just a couple of times as it was low water season.

We were able to observe (and take photos) of the daily lives of these incredible people. These were not tourist areas and they had no idea that we were coming. Gary has done this type of adventure travel for over 10 years. The Urarinas love it when he comes so that they can trade for the useful items they need.

I would HIGHLY recommend this trip for those who are in good health, good shape and want something more than a well traveled road. Each day was a new adventure and a wonderful leaning experience. If you want to know more, contact Gary (or me via Trip Advisor). It is one of those trips of a lifetime:-)

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 9 days in the Amazon visiting the Urarina Tribes

Thank you for the review. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 9 days in the Amazon visiting the Urarina Tribes

It was:-) Thanks for your input. Gary, our guide, would be SO pleased.

Micheljane

Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 9 days in the Amazon visiting the Urarina Tribes

Was it a decent price? Sounds like something I want to do. We travel to Iquitos every summer, last 12 years, I met my wife somewhere on the Ucuayli on the launch. Were looking to do somethin different, sounds great.

Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 9 days in the Amazon visiting the Urarina Tribes

It was $3900.00 each for two people but we booked a year and half ago. Well worth the money as the experience is amazing and the people, staying in the villages, seeing the flow of daily life............priceless. I still have dreams about being the jungle (good dreams:-)

You can check it all out on Gary's friend, Mike's site: www.yagetribalart.com/store/index.php… under Peru Trips. It details what the trip is about. I am SO glad that we were able to take wonderful adventure.

Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 9 days in the Amazon visiting the Urarina Tribes

Thanks for the info. A little much for me as there will be 4 of us, plus my wifes parents and sister from Iquitos. I will definitively check out there website though. Thats great that yall enjoyed it so much. I had a similar experience my first trip to Peru and still get excited about that trip, I guess the jungle just keeps drawing me back every year, after 12 yrs I still get excited. I went for 2 weeks and fortunately because of my job at the time I ended up staying 2 months and met my wife and now have a little cabin near Iquitos. So many cool things there. Thanks again

Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 9 days in the Amazon visiting the Urarina Tribes

Thanks for the info. A little much for me as there will be 4 of us, plus my wifes parents and sister from Iquitos. I will definitively check out there website though. Thats great that yall enjoyed it so much. I had a similar experience my first trip to Peru and still get excited about that trip, I guess the jungle just keeps drawing me back every year, after 12 yrs I still get excited. I went for 2 weeks and fortunately because of my job at the time I ended up staying 2 months and met my wife and now have a little cabin near Iquitos. So many cool things there. Thanks again

Edited: 2:46 pm, October 23, 2012
Columbus Ohio
Level Contributor
41 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 9 days in the Amazon visiting the Urarina Tribes

Hello again. Well, it is less with more people:-) Do take a look at Mike's site. The money paid for all of the items that were traded, our food which was wonderful, we had ice and cold drinks through the last day and a crew of nine with two boats. It was amazing...................

8. Re: Trip Report 9 days in the Amazon visiting the Urarina Tribes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, December 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Amazonas Region