We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 night stay ideas please

scotland
Level Contributor
172 posts
306 reviews
Save Topic
2 night stay ideas please

We are planning a trip to Australia in March next year. We plan to spend 10 days in Perth area. We would like 3 bases in the area from which to explore by car as much as possible as we don't want to move every night. Perth and Margaret river are my first thoughts where else and for how long in each place.

Thanks

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 night stay ideas please

You have probably realised that WA is a vast state and so you will need to be happy driving to reach some wonderful places out of the metropolitan area. Depending on how far you want to drive here are some suggestions:

Perth (including Fremantle)- you could stay around 3 days-or up to 5 days if you are flying in without a stopover from Scotland as you want to get over jet lag.

Margaret River region- you have identified this lovely part of the state as a place to visit. It would be easy to spend 5 days in this area as includes places such as Dunsborough, Yallingup, Margaret River and Augusta.

If you wanted a longer road trip then you could head to and pass by places such as Balingup, Pemberton ( 1 night), Walpole and then further on to the wonderful part of WA of Denmark and Albany (at least 2 nights). With this longer road trip you would cut back on Margaret River to say 3 nights.

At that time of the year my preference would be going to the South West corner of the state rather than heading north.

Could you give us some idea of your interests and willingness to drive as that helps us provide suggestions.

Edited: 10:40 am, June 12, 2014
scotland
Level Contributor
172 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 night stay ideas please

Thanks for your prompt reply. I like the look of your ideas. We are flying into Perth from Sydney for the last chapter of a 5 week trip so jet lag won't be a problem. I looked at Albany but thought it might be too far to drive from Perth in one go but stopping in Pemberton sounds good. I liked the look of the tree walk at Walpole. How long is the drive from Albany to Margaret River?We will have stayed in so many places by the time we get to Perth that I am worried about being too tired. I thought that a 4 night stay in Margaret River would be relaxing before our long flight home.we enjoy driving and seeing as much as possible but we also like to have some time to chill. I am only too aware of the vast distances involved in Australia and we are trying to cut driving down to max of 3 hours a day as we don't want to spend all our time in the car. This will be our last look at the sun for a few months !!

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 night stay ideas please

As much as I love the Albany region, given you have already done a lot of driving over east and want to relax then you might enjoy staying in the Margaret River region. If you wanted to stay there around 5-7 days (easy to do) you could even tag on places such as Nannup/Balingup or even Pemberton before heading back to Perth. This extra bit of driving isn't too far from MR and will enable you to see some more of the country side and some of the tall forests.

Mel, a DE on this forum recently provided a great mini trip report of Pemberton:

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255101-i530-k7…

In March you should be able to still have beautiful beach weather so will be able to enjoy the beaches of Perth and around Margaret River.

Edited: 8:50 pm, June 12, 2014
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 night stay ideas please

The Margaret River Region stretches from Cape Naturalist to Cape Leeuwin, so you can choose a spot in between and easily explore the area's wineries, caves, lighthouses, bays, art galleries, potteries, glass blowers, wood crafters, cafes, restaurants, all from there. I would suggest you allow at least three days to explore besides your travel days each side. Make sure you include a drive along scenic Caves Road - lots of the attractions are along or just off this road anyway.

If you are planning on driving to the Margaret River Region from Perth, you will probably be going via the main Kwinana Freeway/Forrest Hwy roads and you will need to stop for at least one break along the way. Here's a couple of suggestions for nice places on your route overlooking water, since you are following the coastline on the drive.

The foreshore along Koombana Bay on Bonnefoi Blvd at Bunbury, (2 hrs drive south of Perth) is a good place to stretch your legs and have something to eat or drink. Alternately in Busselton (3 hrs drive south of Perth) you can stop at the end of Queen Street, right on Geographe Bay where again there are parklands, cafes and restaurants facing the historic Busselton Jetty - another good place to stop for a break.

Pemberton would make a pleasant "giant forest" stopover as well for a couple of days, and you could then travel back to Perth on SouthWest Hwy for a change of scenery.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,854 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 night stay ideas please

Hi,

Two itinerary suggestions -

a)

Drive down to Margaret River & stay to explore.

b)

Fly Perth to Esperance - hire a car & explore region - its very beautiful & makes an excellent getaway.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23867-Trip_rep…

scotland
Level Contributor
172 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 night stay ideas please

Thanks for all your help. Think plan will be 4 nights Perth 2 nights Pembleton and 4 nights Margaret River.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 night stay ideas please

Happy planning! Just in case you dont already know, a reminder that you can get a good idea of the time and distance by typing "distance from Town A to Town B" into the googlemaps search field.

Try not to plan for more than 4 hours driving per day so you have time to enjoy where you are visiting and avoid driving on country roads near dusk, dawn and at night due to wildlife like kangaroos on the roads.

8. Re: 2 night stay ideas please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 22, 2015