We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rincon vs. Vieques

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rincon vs. Vieques

I'd love some feeback on our mini-vacation please. Heading to PR for 3 nts / 4 days Oct 6th. We are planning to stay in OSJ the first night then would like to head to somewhere else for the other 3 days / 2 nts. We can't decide on whether to fly over to Vieques from Isla Grande or rent a car and drive to Rincon.

Doda, I know you are an expert with both locations. Can you please give me some feedback? We are two 40-something well travelled ladies who enjoy the beach, great meals and a fun time at night but past the club scene stuff. We would also like to work in a spa treatment or massage.

Much thanks.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rincon vs. Vieques

Hmm... id say it depends on what you are looking for.

RINCON:

*Good- great little beach town, calm, nice beaches, access to spas around the area or in Rincon itself, access to other points of interest in the Island, like Boqueron, La Parguera, Isabella, ...

*Bad- the drive may be a little tricky and you might have to drive from time to time to get to the places youd want to visit, and you wont get that isolated beach paradise feeling, because you are still connected to the busy main island. (although it will be calmer than San Juan)

VIEQUES:

*Good- awesome isolated Caribbean paradise island, best beaches, hotels have spas, unique experience.

*Bad- what you get is what you see, you cant go out and see other things, only what is there on Vieques, you may need a jeep to search for beaches and what not...

***For me it is too close to call... they are both great destinations and very similar in the point of what you are looking for, but the difference between them make each of them be a great spot to go visit.

SORRY I COULDNT HELP YOU OUT MORE

-Ricky

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rincon vs. Vieques

i can't lie RINCON is my favorite however VIEQUES is good as well. if you want to explore, horseback ride, see some awesome beaches that are easily accessible then head for RINCON.

if you want adventure, exploring remote and secluded beaches then head to VIEQUES. you will need to rent a jeep in order to access the more remote, harder to access beaches.

i agree with RICKY that it's a tough call here are some websites to help you make up your mind.

www.gotopuertorico.com

www.elyunque.com

www.rincon.org

www.rinconpr.com

www.isla-vieques.com

research a bit and get back to us.

happy planning,

doda

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Rincon vs. Vieques

Thanks Ricky - you post did help.

Here's our challenge...I prefer a little more 'action' than my friend does so I am trying to find a balance between the two of us. I am concerned that there won't be much to do in VIeques post-dinner which is great for her but yuk for me. Can I assume that there's more to do in Rincon?

Which area would be better to stay in in Rincon - north or south(?)coast? We would prefer a calmer sea and lively nightlife.

Same question for Vieques - Isabela or Esperanza?

rutz_gal

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Rincon vs. Vieques

i really think RINCON would be the better compromise. go to

www.rincon.org

you will find a hand drawn map on this site which will show you where the beaches, hotels, guest houses. restaurants, and bars are. if you want to stay where the calmer water is , LOOK ON THE MAP and pick a place between TRES SIRENAS AND SUNSET PARADISE. if you want suggestions on where to stay just ask.

good luck,

doda

san juan,Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rincon vs. Vieques

They are different experiences.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rincon vs. Vieques

I think that in Rincon you can get the calm trip for your friend and be able to escape to a bit more of an adventure if you wanted too. On Vieques things are limited and are is more of a place for people that just want to get away from it all.

By the way, I think the south coast of Rincon has calmer waters. But again, DODA should have a better idea on that.

-Ricky

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rincon vs. Vieques

How does someone get to Vieques? I priced out a flight from New York and it was over $1,000...is there a secret I don't know about catching a plan from PR to Vieques?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rincon vs. Vieques

you can fly from SJU to VIEQUES with M&N AVIATION for $75.00 pp each-way. you can also fly to VIEQUES from THE ISLA GRANDE AIRPORT for $50.00 pp each-way (20 min taxi ride from SJU - $25.00 TAXI COST)

mnaviation.com

this company has the highest (free) weight allowance 50lbs pp

good luck,

doda

9. Re: Rincon vs. Vieques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, August 24, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Rincon