We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rincon family vacation- what to do...

boston
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
rincon family vacation- what to do...

I have been getting such wonderful help from everyone here at Tripadvisor about my upcoming vacation- so I wanted to see if what people feel is the "can not miss" activity, sight, restaurant, experience in Rincon. Through all your suggestions we were able to narrow down where is Puerto Rico to go down to Rincon. I am now trying to plan a few activities - not too much - budget is not huge and I do want to spend a lot of time just enjoying the time with my children on the beaches- but I am looking into scuba, snorkeling, or snuba- a sunset cruise perhaps, I wanted to do a bioluminescent bay- but it seems the only one worth going to is back near San Juan, so - basically looking for advice for the must-dos in and around Rincon - we have 8 people in total- 2 adults and 6 kids - 2, 6, 8, 10, 11,16. Thanks in advance for all your assistance - it has been invaluable so far!

boston
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rincon family vacation- what to do...

Sorry - I also was wondering if anyone knew where we could do the walk on the ocean floor - I did that as a child in Bermuda and loved it - it was just a helmet dive I guess they call it where you have a helmet and walk on the ocean floor- I can not seem to find any in PR though somewhere along the way I do remember seeing one...TY!

Guaynabo, Puerto...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rincon family vacation- what to do...

There was a company in San Juan that offered this, but I believe they are no longer operating.

There are a few places that offer Snuba Dives (cross between scuba diving and snorkling) try doing a google search for snuba puerto rico if that might be of intetest

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rincon family vacation- what to do...

Will you have your own snorkel gear? If so, you can do it from shore at Steps Beach. You can rent some gear,but it may end up being cheaper to buy a few sets at Walmart.

We went diving with Taino Divers, they also do snorkeling on the same trips to Desecheo island.

Or ride down to Guanica and get the ferry over to Gilligan's Island.

About the BioBay, as long as you have a car, go to La Parguera for the BioBay. It is a nice , cheap trip and you may get lucky and have a good show (we have spoken to a biologist that studied the area- it varies, some weeks are great, some not, depending on the number and type of dynoflagellates). In my opinion, even for just the boat ride, for $6, it is hard to beat even on a bad BioBay night!

For a family, I think the restaurant right on the corner by Maria's beach would be great. Casual, food was really pretty good, cheap and you get a nice sunset view!

The Mayaguez Zoo used to be good, but recent budget cuts may have severely changed the scene :-(

And Cabo Rojo Lighthouse and La Playuela beach are great.

USA
Level Contributor
168 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rincon family vacation- what to do...

Activities:

-snorkeling at Steps beach

-get a beachfront table next to the bar at Villa Cofresi hotel, and eat pinchos (skewers of meat) for a kid-friendly meal

-collect sea glass at Domes beach

-drive (don't remember how far, perhaps 1 hour?) to Camuy Caves and relatively near to there is the Arecibo Observatory (with kid-friendly exhibits)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
51 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rincon family vacation- what to do...

We did the bio bay with Paradise Scuba in La Parguera, it was incredible. I wouldn't take the young kids though, the big boat would be more appropriate for them. I think that bay needs dry weather to be at its best.

I would take a morning without the kids and have breakfast at the English Rose. I would not go back to Rincon without going there.

The Cabo Rojo lighthouse is a nice trip too, there is a bay next to it that has a really nice beach that would be great for the kids. There were a lot of families having picnics there.

boston
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rincon family vacation- what to do...

thank you so much for all the great ideas!

7. Re: rincon family vacation- what to do...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, October 28, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Rincon