We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving along west coast

Which Rincon hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
54 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Driving along west coast

If we stay in Rincon, how long is the drive to the sw tip of the island?

Is it correct to think that we will be able to drive anywhere on the west coast staying in Rincon ?

Thanks

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
314 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving along west coast

RIncon is conveniently located for traveling to the SW and NW coasts of Puerto Rico, understand there is no highway through out this entire region of the Island and you can expect traffic along #2 a 4 lane road with many lights, the traffic through Aguadilla (NW, and Mayguez (SW can be pretty conjested. To visit Boqueron, Cabo Rojo and Parguerra, on to the dry forrest in Guanica you can take come coastal routes, to Isabella, it's 2 then to the coast, to the S tip past Ponce and Salinas, expect to drive about 2 hours, the other way to Fajardo through the North route is 3 hours. Rincon itself is a great destination. Otherwise most sites west, with trafic are just an hour drive, including the scenic route up the mountains to Maricau. My suggestion is you first consider where it is you want to stay and what kind of accomodations you want, beach, water activities, and relaxation, is what you will find in Rincon, after one day trip and the traffic in PR chances are you may not want to do any more traveling and wish you were staying in a great place on the beach to just relax.

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
99 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving along west coast

Back in September we drove from Rincon to the salt flats in Cabo Rojo and Bahia Sucia (SW tip of the island and a beautiful spot!).

We took the scenic route on the way down (115 from Rincon south to Rt 2, then quickly off of RT 2 onto RT 102 through Joyuda, through Boqueron and finally 301 down to Los Morrillos.

We stopped a bunch of time (there is a wonderful tourist information office on RT 100 north of RT 101: Great place to stop for maps and loads of great local tips. Really friendly!) so can't really give you a good time estimate regarding taking the indirect route.

But, on the way back from the beach (after a quick stop at the salt flats observation tower), we took 100 straight up to RT 2 and were back in Rincon within the hour.

Whew...longwinded way of saying, yeah, you can drive anywhere on the west coast from Rincon.

Level Contributor
54 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving along west coast

Thanks Tres Sirenas !! I tried to stay at your hotel, but it is booked.

I am so disappointed. I am looking for something very similiar.

Also thank you UK2CARIB, you answered my question completely.

4. Re: Driving along west coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 25, 2009