We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Problem

Manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visa Problem

Hi there,

My wife, my son and I are going to Dubai as part of a stopover in Pakistan from the UK. I am a UK national as is my son so we have no problem getting a visa as i understand it. However my wife is a Pakistani national with indefinite leave to remain in the UK permit so she would require a tourist visa for Dubai. I am struggling to get a visa for her as her pakistani passport is not machine readable and as such we can not apply online via the emirates website (which we have booked the flights with) as they require machine readable passport for visa online application. I have contacted movenpick hotel in Dubai where we will be staying and they say they do not issue visas for guests. Expedia where we booked the hotel from do not issue visas. Applying to the UAE embassy just looks really complicated with their sponsor requirements and everything else. I am running out of ideas on how to apply! We are going from the UK on the 14th December, then on the way back we are staying in Dubai for 3 days on the 2nd Jan 2013. If someone can suggest any ideas, I would appreciate it! I was thinking of changing her passport to a machine readable one from the pakistani consulate in Manchester where we live and then apply online, but any other better ideas would be most welcome!

Manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa Problem

Apart from southtravel.com, i would like some other ideas please! Or if my idea about changing the passport to a machine readable passport idea is good, please let me know. Thanks!

Manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa Problem

Just an update, I can not apply for machine readable passport at manchester consulate, it can only be done at london embassy and it will take maybe over 3 weeks with urgent application which will be too late as we are leaving on the 14th December. So I am really stuck on what to do, someone please help!

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa Problem

If you cannot get the visa through EK by going to your local office or through South Travels, then how about taking the tickets, your wife, with photos and documentation and your cheque book and going to the Embassy in person?

Edited: 12:45 pm, November 21, 2012
Manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa Problem

The embassy for UAE is in london and quite difficult to get there for us. I will try ringing them and see what they say.

I just spoke with Emirates on the phone and they said she can get a 96 hour transit visa on arrival... i am not so sure about this and it seems really risky leaving it until we actually get there. Any advice on this?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa Problem

A 96 hours transit visa is fine. It is basically the same like a tourist visa but only valid for 96 hours. So I would go with it.

Your wife will need to queue up at arrival at the visa desk, get her visa and then proceed to immigration. Depending the time of your arrival there could be a long waiting time for the visa to be issued. Your wife will go through the female channel (which should have a shorter queue time). Still, you might want to book ‘Marhaba’ (welcome) silver service at Dubai airport. Details: marhabaservices.com/Source/silvermeetandgree…

You pay a bit, but somebody will be with your wife and she will be able to jump the queue.

During visa issuance your wife will most likely get finger printed (electronically) and retina scanned. This is a normal procedure.

Another options may is to change your hotel to a hotel offering visa services. However these hotels tend to be more premium and it will not solve the fact that you have to wait on arrival to receive your visa (just different category).

So there are not too many options. Still I would change her passport to machine readable once you are home again.

Manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa Problem

Hi there! Many thanks for your help!

I decided rather than wait and hope at the airport where there is no guarantee, i contacted the hotel again and they put me through to the reservations team and a nice lady said they can sort out the visa. She sent me the application form and details of what they need. One of which is a deposit of 5000 AED! This works out around £850! Is this normal? Has anyone else done this before? Im just a bit concerned giving so much money to someone, even if they say they will refund the money when u return home. The hotel in question is Moevenpick Ibn Battuta Gate in Dubai just in case anyone wants to know. Any advice regarding this deposit is much appreciated!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa Problem

The deposit of AED 5000 is normal.

When your wife leaves the UAE she will receive an exit stamp in her passport. Once you have send a copy of this exit stamp back to the hotel they will release the money. You should be able to guarantee this also with your credit card to avoid a cash deposit.

There seems to be a misunderstanding however. Your wife will receive her visa at the airport. The hotel will send you a copy of an electronic visa. With this your wife will still need to queue up at the airport at the visa desk, receive her visa and then continue to immigration.

So the procedure is absolutely the same as for an 96 hours transit visa issued by Emirates airlines.

There is no issue with the electronic visa. It avoids you going to London to the UAE consulate and get the visa directly in the passport.

Manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa Problem

Many thanks again for your help Dubai_Phil_64! I don't have a credit card and only have a Visa debit card... would this be a problem?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa Problem

Not sure. Best is you ask the hotel. This really depends on their policy, the debit card and how a debit card works.

On a credit card the hotel would make a reservation. Hence the hotel would receive the authorisation to make a booking of AED 5000. But the hotel would only call in this authorisation if the person holding the visa would not leave the country.

I am not sure if you can make a 'reservatin' on a debit card.

Birmingham, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa Problem

My wife is having the same passport problem because of her manual passport her online visa has been declined. Our booking of hotel and tickets are done for 1st of April.can anyone advise me some other options.thanks.

Get answers to your questions about Emirate of Dubai