We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips please for Almancil trip

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
144 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Tips please for Almancil trip

Like many of new visitors to Almancil, we are deliberating over whether to rent a car for the week or take the walking , taxi route.

If we go by taxi, what is the best / cheapest way to hire a taxi to take four adults and luggage from the airport to the villa?. Do we book in advance on line or do we take the first taxi on the rank and discuss /haggle a price, which from the reports comes in at 30-40 euros.

I suppose the supplementary question is where can we get a reliable taxi company in the village that will take us back from Almancil to the airport on time!

Secondly, are we cheaper buying our bottles of spirits at the airport or wait and just buy from the Apolonia supermarket in the village.

Many thanks Drew

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,930 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Something will depend on where your villa is located in 'Almancil' - you might be 2 or 3 miles from the town centre and still be in 'Almancil'.

The most cost effective way to get to and from the airport is by pre-booking a van/minibus transfer. There are several companies offering such services and they have online booking facilities.

Type 'airport transfer' in the search box above and you will see the many Q&A on this topic. I am sure someone will come along later with some specific recommendations, but Bravotur has a good reputation:

http://www.bravotur.com/

A taxi from the airport rank will be more expensive and there won't be any haggling!

The airport is more expensive for most wines and spirits than Apolonia and in any case there is no arrivals side shop.

Trust that helps.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
144 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Many thanks for the information and I will certainly look at the website you have provided.

Drew Mutter

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

We are leaving Alamancil tomorow and I have to say that our trip was destroyed by not having a car .For less than half a mile a taxi costs 12 euro!!! We have spent the bulk of our holiday money on taxis and would never come herre again .My advice to anyone coming is to avoid the place unless you can afford 5 star all the way :(

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
144 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Many thanks for the information and I can understand the frustration at being ripped off , especially if your accomodation is in an isolated location.It certainly balances the views we have heard.I will research where we are, thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Hi Drew,

Almancil itself is an urban sprawl and encompasses several large resorts, too. You will certainly need a car for getting to the beach and other facilities and even the supermarkets. Don't forget you will be buying 5litre bottles of water to carry home along with your glass bottles from Apolonia! Public transport is virtually non-existent and although there is a small railway stop in Almancil remember that other stations (e.g. Loule) are nearly always outside the towns.

Eating out in the area is a delight, and it would be a shame if you were adding two taxi fares to your food bill each time you go out. We have a house at Quinta do Lago surrounded by excellent facilities yet we wouldn't dream of going without car-hire (no, I don't want to buy a car, just another thing to worry about!)

Car hire in Portugal is among the cheapest in Europe and although prices have gone up this year it is still affordable. We use a very good small family run company with competitive prices. Search the web and avoid the companies charging 'extras' for everything.

Let me know how you get on!

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
144 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Hi there

Many thanks for the information, it more or less confirms our intentions now to book a car.We will have two drivers so we can share the driving. We have been to the Algarve many times but this is our forst "inland" trip.We have looked at the google earth site and it certainly gives us an indication that the Almancil area is well spread out and 40-50 minute walks are fine once or twice but every day - no . Roll on 16th September

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
557 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

We are travelling to Vale do Lobo this Saturday but remember being shocked by the prices in local restaurants last time we went five years ago. This time the children will be eating adult portions and the euro is worth a lot less. Needless to say, to avoid eating at the nearby NineIron etc, I've been thoroughly researching local eateries and have hired a car. The only mistake we've made is to leave it too late to book (two weeks prior) and have had to pay almost £600 for two weeks a 5-door Clio!!!!!! We did contact some local companies that were a lot cheaper but there was nothing available at all.

Moral or the story - book now! You'll be outside the main holiday period, so should find it a lot easier AND CHEAPER! Have a great time and you'll certainly save a heap on food at the big supermarket and also be able to explore the local area (have a look at some of the recommendations people have made on my earlier thread)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
144 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Hi there

I agree with your comments on the hire car scenario and as a group have tonight booked our car,thank goodness.

Its all about peace of mind knowing that you can come and go when you please.

I also agree that the supermarket in Almancil will be more than adequate to cater for what we need for our week's stay.

I will also look at your other comments posted earlier with interest.

Cheers

Drew Mutter

QdL
Almancil
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Apologia supermarket is the Algarve's Waitrose and has everything from caviar up. A new Pingo Doce has just opened a few hundred metres away and there is an Aldi nearby. The Alisuper in Quinta do Lago has re opened

QdL
Almancil
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips please for Almancil trip

Apologia supermarket is the Algarve's Waitrose and has everything from caviar up. A new Pingo Doce has just opened a few hundred metres away and there is an Aldi nearby. The Alisuper in Quinta do Lago has re opened

Get answers to your questions about Almancil