We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dona filipa

Durham
12 posts
Save Topic
dona filipa

Quite fancy this hotel , for August for 2 adults and 6 year old, reports not great but it appeals because it is so close to beach, are there bars and restraunts around it that you can enjoy. We went to the Hilton at Villamoura and had a fantastic time last year but like to try something different, it is around the same price as the Hilton, we prefer not to hire a car obviously looking for other familes to be around. Thank you.

Or any other suggetions????

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Olhos de Agua
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dona filipa

Hi,

Dona Filipa Hotel in Vale de Lobo ( Almancil ) and Hilton in Vilamoura re very diferent.

Dona Filipa Hotel has an excellent locacion, 3 minutes walk to beach and to a small square ( Vale de Lobo square ) with a few very expensive but excellent restaurant, bars, caffes terrace and shop and Kiosk with magazines, papers, cigarretes and a few toys. Beach is much more smaller than Falesia beach in Vilamoura and more quit too. There are always live music in Vale Lobo square in the evening but is much more quit than Vilamoura. if you lke relax and quit holidays is a perfect place. I never stay in Dona Filipa Hotel ( only in Vale lobo townhouses around ) but seems to be a very good hotel, older than Hilton but nice too. However, I had a couple friend with 60 years old that always went to Dona Filipa but 2 years ago decide choose another Hotel ( SHERATON in Albufeira ) because Dona Filipa is a litle bit old and need refurnisch.

I had been in Vale Lobo for a weak 2 years ago and I was a litle bit "tired" to be there, it´s to quit for my taste.

Last year I Had been in Hilton for a weak( and I will return in August) and love it, quit enought inside hotel but near buzy Vilamoura with many restaurants to eat, shops and bars.

I hope this information helps you.

Leonor

Honesty, I prefer Vilamoura because Vale Lobo is

Durham
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: dona filipa

Thank you very much, that information is very useful, although the Hilton was excellent it is nice to try something different, the square with the music sonds great, we never thought much of the marina at Villamoura. You said there were some expensive restraunts were there also some family type pizza/grills.

Thank you.

Hull
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dona filipa

Hi

I have stayed in various parts of Quinta Do Laga and Vale De Lobo. Last year my partner and I discovered the Dunas Douradas Beach Club.

www.ddbc.pt

Its fantastic. Right on the beach, beautiful apartments and pool area, great restaurant and bar. We are going in August for two weeks and taking a five year old. They also have a brilliant kids club that runs daily if you want some peace and quiet for a few hours. Its a five minute walk down the beach to Vale Do Lobo or a quick taxi ride. Some friends of ours who are regulars at the Dona filipa each year tried the beach club two weeks ago and were blown away by it. They said the dona filipe is tired and shabby now compared to Dunas.

Hope this helps

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Olhos de Agua
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dona filipa

Hello,

No, near Dona Filipa and Vale Lobo square there aren´t family restaurants with Pizzas, Chinesse food, only at lunch time. Restaurants are very expensive but very good too. If you hire car, 5 minutes by car is QUINTA DO LAGO shopping with nice and good shops, restaurants, caffes terraces and bars. When I was in Vale Lobo and last year in my second weak holidays ( after to be in Hilton ) in Quinta do Lago ( MONTE DA QUINTA SUITES hotel ) I went many times at lunch time to Quinta do Lago shopping, nice lunch meals with Pasta, salads, Hamburgers, sandwiches, chiken and not very expensive. However, Golden Triangle area ( VALE LOBO, DUNAS DOURADAS and QUINTA LAGO ) is much more expensive than Vilamoura but a nice place to have quit and relax holidays.

DONA FILIPA hotel is not the best hotel only because is old and need to be refurnisch but has the best locacion in all area. The other hotels like QUINTA LAGO hotel MONTE QUINTA suites, all privare houses and thownhouses could be a litle bit far away from beach and comercial areas and car is necessary.

This year, for the first time, we will be not in Golden triangle for our last holidays weak but only because our childreen grow up and prefer to be in more buzy places like Vilamoura or Albufeira with their friends. We will be one weak in Hilton and the other weak in VILASOL hotel ( quit than Hilton but in Vilamoura too). VILASOL hotel is a 5 stars, 5 minutes by car or free cortesy bus to vilamoura, in the midle of golf, very good rooms, public areas and service ( a nice hotel for you when you decide return to Vilamoura ), a small shopping area with restaurant, famous OSCAR BAR with live music, shop and supermarket.

Let me know if you need more information about area or hotels, maybe I can help you.

Leonor

5. Re: dona filipa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 07, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Almancil