We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Cape excursion or Bird watching (Stappen Island)

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Reading
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
North Cape excursion or Bird watching (Stappen Island)

Hi I am arriving on the Princess Cruise in Honningsvag on Sunday 7th July. Could someone recommend whether I should go on an excursion to the North Cape - reading other posts there is a mixed feeling about this - or go on a bird watching excursion to Stappen Island. Also, with the boat trip to Stappen Island, will the sea be choppy or is it relatively calm? I really appreciate your help on this topic

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,722 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Cape excursion or Bird watching (Stappen Island)

North Cape is a goal for many, but to be honest it is often foggy out there. The visitor's centre is said to be interesting. I suggest you take the excursion that appeals most to your interests.

It is a very exposed area with the open ocean as your closest neighbour - calm seas are rare and you will have to be prepared for movements of the boat. I suggest you take motion sickness medicine if you are sensitive.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Cape excursion or Bird watching (Stappen Island)

The correct name is Gjesværstappan, a group of rocky islands outside the fishing village of Gjesvær, known for their bird colonies. I would definitely choose that above the North Cape.

In July there should be a fair chance of good weather, but these islands are completely exposed to the Barents Sea, there will always be rolling waves.

Reading
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Cape excursion or Bird watching (Stappen Island)

Thanks so much for your quick response, I think that I will not go bird watching now, as the boats are quite small and so we will notice the waves more!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Cape excursion or Bird watching (Stappen Island)

Snap - we will be in Honningsvaag just before you, on 30th June for the day and I too wondered about bird-watching! We are also from Reading. I've read the replies you have and feel that the choppy sea might also deter me from going on a small boat too. When we have our excursions programme maybe I'll make a final decision then - but wherever we go, I will have the binoculars! Enjoy whatever you choose to do.

Reading
Level Contributor
16 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North Cape excursion or Bird watching (Stappen Island)

Thank you. Looks like we might just stay around the small town, as my friend who has been at North Cape said there was not a lot there, although he thought is was worthwhile, but it was really sunny when he went. There is more of. Chance of fog by all accounts. The cost of the trip to North Cape with Princess is around $139 each!! Enjoy your cruise also.

Europe
Level Contributor
357 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: North Cape excursion or Bird watching (Stappen Island)

I second the one who recommend the bird watching, I don’t see any worry about the small boat, they wouldn’t be doing it if there was any risk. But depends what you like doing in general, I am into the nature trails, I like hiking, taking photos, so it is clear choice for me. If you are not into it, then take the North Cape tour, even it is known for a tourist trap.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North Cape excursion or Bird watching (Stappen Island)

Rather than take the expensive Princess trip to Stappen Island, is it possible to do it by private boat trip?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
26,722 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Cape excursion or Bird watching (Stappen Island)

I fear a private trip would be equally expensive - if at all possible. There is only one tour provider for this trip and if there is a cruise liner in port, they will be busy serving your fellow passengers. That is how they make a living and the season is short in the arctic.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North Cape excursion or Bird watching (Stappen Island)

Thanks for that. It's kind of what I thought.

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Cape excursion or Bird watching (Stappen Island)

We were on the same cruise as the Comment Starter, and took the Stappen Island bird-watching tour. It was absolutely fabulous, and we are not birders.