We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nordkapp tour advice June 14 2012

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
new york
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nordkapp tour advice June 14 2012

I will be in Honningsvag for the day on June 14 2012 and would like to visit Nordkapp . Can someone please advise a good tour to take or information on the reliability of taking local buses there.

Thank you

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nordkapp tour advice June 14 2012

If you arrive with a cruise ship, the schedules for the public buses will rarely suit the short docking times, thus forcing you to take the trip organized by the ship. A taxi (34 kilometres each way) will be even more expensive.

One factor contributing to the high price for these excursions, is that there is a high entrance fee to enter the North Cape plateau, even if you are not using any services there. As this is a publicly owned area, I am among the ones who think this fee is illegitimate, but I don't decide :(

Buses: http://turl.no/kfj

Entrance fee: http://turl.no/kfk

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,569 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nordkapp tour advice June 14 2012

Be aware that Nordkapp is merely a foggy cliff above the Barents. Strictly speaking it is not even the northernmost point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knivskjellodden

Since Nordkapp is part of an island, the northernmost point on mainland Europe is Kinnarodden across the bay

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,376 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nordkapp tour advice June 14 2012

The local buses are reliable, so if they fit your docking times you could perhaps save some cash. Nordkapp is perhaps a foggy cliff, but there is not much else to do in Honningsvåg. And we can always hope for a small miracle - sunshine :))

Oslo
Level Contributor
14,569 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nordkapp tour advice June 14 2012

I'm a bit negative about Nordkapp, particularly because of the price policy up there, but I am also trying to be realistic.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,376 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nordkapp tour advice June 14 2012

Personally I think Nordkapp is the worst tourist trap in Norway. But it is also the main reason why cruiseliners dock in Honningsvåg. People have dreams and unrealistic ideas about Nordkapp and midnight sun and many will be disappointed. For some it is even a religious act to go to Nordkapp. And there is not a lot to do in Honningsvåg apart from the Cape. I must have been there close to a hundred times when on Hurtigruten. A working fishing port that smells like one ! :)

new york
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nordkapp tour advice June 14 2012

Thank you all for the advice on Nordkapp. I had also read somewhere that it is rare that the day will be clear enough to really enjoy the view and that it is expensive.:(

I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed that it is a nice day if that is the only thing to do there :). unless is Kinnarodden doable?

So even though it may be a tourst trap you have been there close to a hundred times??? sounds like in spite of the $ there must be something drawing about it.

Thanks for inlcuding the bus schedule-I will check it out and hope to find something less of a rip off than the typical cruise ship MO

Susan

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
27,376 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nordkapp tour advice June 14 2012

I have been to Honningsvåg close to a hundred times, only once to Nordkapp and that was plenty. And I did not go as a tourist, it was work, work, work.

new york
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nordkapp tour advice June 14 2012

Sorry it was work only. Hope you get there for pure pleasure next time.

Thank you for your good advise-may need to find something else to do

Oslo
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nordkapp tour advice June 14 2012

I've been to Nordkapp three times. One with sunshine, two with fog. I think this is average luck, but I would not advise you not to go there.

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nordkapp tour advice June 14 2012

we are going to be there on June 24 and want to use the local bus. Should we order tickets by e-mail in advance?