We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
160 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Hi fellow travellers,

After some thorough research on the internet, between Caloundra, Maloolooba and Noosa have decided Noosa was the better destination for our family holiday, just because it has more to see and do, also imo has the nicest beach.

So looking through accommodation, it seems there are only a hand full of beach front resorts at prices starting FROM $400! Seriously $400 for a night??

Anyway my question is: Is there anywhere we can stay that is as close as possible to the beach without costing an arm and a leg?!

I've looked at Noosaville, seems a lot cheaper and most have water views or situated along the river, but I don't know if I could let my kids swim in the river? How safe and clean is it? I've read some forum regarding bull sharks! Not appealing when you have 3 young children.....

Mentioned in this post
Caloundra
Caloundra
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Noosa
Noosa
Noosaville
Noosaville
Noosa, Australia
Comet, Qld
Level Contributor
580 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Don't discount Mooloolaba or Caloundra which both have kid friendly beaches. What sort of activities are you looking at? There's plenty of things to do in other areas. Noosa is right at the north of the Sunshine Coast so if you want to do any of the things further south you will have a good drive to get there. But it all depends on what you want. Mooloolaba has one of the best beaches in the world IMHO and usually a relatively gentle surf.

Mentioned in this post
Mooloolaba
Mooloolaba
Caloundra
Caloundra
Noosa
Noosa
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,818 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

The beach is pretty small in Noosa so there simply isn't that much beachfront land. Even if you go just a block or two from Hastings St it would be a discount compared to the absolute beachfront. Maybe there's also an issue with your dates - is it during school holidays or other peak periods? $400 a night still seems high - I'm seeing prices more like $219 for the Sebel for example, but that was just picking a random date.

If you go further down the river catching the ferry is a nice diversion though maybe not cost effective for a family of five.

Mentioned in this post
Noosa
Noosa
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,444 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Mooloolaba is a great area for families and kids ... Noosa is probably more gentrified and "up-market" ergo the higher prices but further south there are better facilities for kids.

Mentioned in this post
Mooloolaba
Mooloolaba
Noosa
Noosa
australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,282 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

It isn't unique to Noosa. Beachfront front real estate commands premium pricing most anywhere on Aust coastline. Even on Port Philip Bay one could generally expect water front property to be more expensive than a block or two away from water. Try Perigian just minutes by car, south of Noosa for a cheaper beachfront option. Of course you then no longer have the dining and shopping options of Hastings Street.

Mentioned in this post
Noosa
Noosa
Hastings Street
Hastings Street
1,394 Reviews
Noosa, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,806 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

>>>So looking through accommodation, it seems there are only a hand full of beach front resorts<<<

You've sort of answered your own question as to why it's expensive.

Southport.Lancashire...
Level Contributor
87 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

I have just returned from a trip that included Noosaville. Stayed in a two bed apartment at Noosa Village River Resort and do highly recommend it to you . Adults and children were swimming in the river no worries. Is very safe along the front for kids. Interesting area and boats for self drive hire and/or cruises like the sunset cruisre. Very easy to get into Hastings St. by bus or car or ferry.

Mentioned in this post
Noosaville
Noosaville
Noosa, Australia
Noosa Village River Resort
Noosa Village River...
197 Reviews
Noosaville, Australia
Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
160 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Goannas - we are planning to relax most of the time preferrably on the beach, and we will take the kids to Australia Zoo, maybe under water world in Maloolooba etc. can't think of anything else at this moment.

I did look at Caloundra - King's beach but I just thought Noosa's beach looked more "inviting"?

Jeremy - we are heading up there at the end of Feb staying 5 nights....definitely $400 plus for a 2-3 bedroom apartments on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Australia Zoo
Australia Zoo
4,088 Reviews
Beerwah, Australia
Caloundra
Caloundra
Queensland
Level Contributor
6 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Caloundra is the pick of the Sunshine Coast in my opinion. Try Bulcock Beach, as this is where we stay and is affordable, beautiful and close to both beach and main street.

Mentioned in this post
Caloundra
Caloundra
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Bulcock Beach
Bulcock Beach
451 Reviews
Caloundra, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Noosa is expensive compared to other areas of the coast and it always has been. Beachfront is horrendously expensive however you won't find much better in terms of view and location . Highly sought after area and people will pay the prices.

Noosaville is popular with locals and families. It is only a short drive, taxi or ferry to the Main Street of Noosa. Yes it is a bit cheaper than Noosa and popular with those that like it a bit quieter. Noosa river is safe for swimming, nice walking track by the river and cafes etc. bulk sharks are everywhere, I haven't heard of any attacks here.

Mooloolaba and Kings Beach at Caloundra might also suit you.

Edited: 2:41 pm, February 13, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Noosa
Noosa
Noosaville
Noosaville
Noosa, Australia
Noosa River
Noosa River
513 Reviews
Noosaville, Australia
Mooloolaba
Mooloolaba
Kings Beach
Kings Beach
768 Reviews
Caloundra, Australia
Caloundra
Caloundra
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why are all the "beach front" accommodation so expensive?!

Australia zoo and underwater world are significantly south of noose. Why not stay at mooloolaba, cotton tree, alexandra heads or dicky beach. All great with kids.

Mentioned in this post
Australia Zoo
Australia Zoo
4,088 Reviews
Beerwah, Australia