We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My TR Noosa & the Sunshine Coast

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Topic
My TR Noosa & the Sunshine Coast

Most of the week we spent in Noosaville, in Noosa Keys Resort which I cannot recommend. Too old, no air-conditioning, but as we have already paid for it, we stayed for 5 days. Noosaville itself is a great place with many restaurants and a fabulous Playhouse, where we saw La Ronde (listed as A sensual, seductive and scandalous Adults Only production with 10 short, personal and poignant scenes that explore sexual relationships). The restaurants that we visited during our stay were all great (Holy Mackrel, Red Emperor Fish & Chips, Madisson's, Grenny's)

We arrived by 2 trains & a bus from Brisbane, the journey itself was some adventure. Apparently there was a fire on one of the lines, so we took longer & different route than initially planned. We had a car the last three days, so we explored the whole Sunshine Coast. The towns we liked: Mooloolaba, Maroochedore - especially around the Conservation River Park, Montville (hinterland & Caloundra. We took a Fraser Island Tour which was excellent, saw many dingos along the beach, great lunch & a great company (people from Argentina, Canada, France, UK among others.,) While in Noosaville, we took it easy, spending days on the beach in Noosa Heads & taking bus to the Sunshine Beach (less commercial and not such a strong undercurrent), loved to watch the surfers and generally took it easy, We spent the entire day in and around Noosa National Park hiking, swimming, & having a picnic, watching cheeky brush turkeys trying to get a bite or two.

Originally, we thought of going up north to Eurimbula National Park, etc., but the cyclone predictions deterred us.

It was nice to have a car, even if just for three days, though if one wants to stay just in Noosaville, the trains & a bus from Brisbane for under AUD 22 presents a cheap alternative.Just dreaming, not quite planning about going back in 2012 or 2013 to visit Melbourne, Adelaide, Alic Springs, Cairns (flights), then hire a 4 wheel drive and/or camper & spend 1 month driving to Perth... We welcome any comments about that...Probably crazy....

Mentioned in this post
Noosa Keys Resort
Noosa Keys Resort
53 Reviews
Noosaville, Australia
Noosa National Park
Noosa National Park
2,515 Reviews
Noosa, Australia
Red Emperor
Red Emperor
279 Reviews
Noosaville, Australia
Noosaville
Noosaville
Noosa, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sunshine Coast
Sunshine Coast
Queensland, Australia
Mooloolaba
Mooloolaba
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Caloundra
Caloundra
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Fraser Island
Fraser Island
Fraser Coast, Australia
Noosa Heads
Noosa Heads
Noosa, Australia
Sunshine Beach
Sunshine Beach
Noosa, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My TR Noosa & the Sunshine Coast

Another enjoyable report Sophie :o) It's a shame your accommodation was disappointing.. don't forget to do a review on it!

Thinking about your trip, If you're planning to drive to Perth over 4 weeks, I think you'd be wise to chose the route for that and not try to cover too much else across the continent. Ie either go Cairns and across to NW WA and down the coast to Perth or go from Melbourne through Adelaide and across the Nullabor. It's a massively long way and WA is a massively big place with much to see. When you start planning in earnest I'd suggest posting a new thread to get ideas and comments.. that will stand a good chance of attracting Tet ... and Tet is a road trip master, you want his input for sure.

OH, did you realise there is a road trip forum too?

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My TR Noosa & the Sunshine Coast

Thanks Snodge; good advice. I usually plan only about 6-8 mths in advance, but I am glad you did not think it was too crazy...

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My TR Noosa & the Sunshine Coast

oh, definitely not crazy. A colleague of mine has just returned to work after spending 3 weeks riding to Perth and back on his motor bike. Part of a biker club ride. He said that it took a week riding over and a week riding back and they had just over a week for a quick look around.

...like Diberry's report of Uluru, he said that it was really weird to see the Nullabor not red dirt as usual but just a huge expanse of green grass.. and they got rained on on the way across! Tet did a report on his trip across the Nullabor, maybe you could search for that on the forums, it was a great read.

4. Re: My TR Noosa & the Sunshine Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 07, 2010