We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

noosa main beach vs sunshine beach

mfs
sd
13 posts
Save Topic
noosa main beach vs sunshine beach

we will be traveling during Christmas break. which is the better beach, restaurants, nite life, parking. Is sunshine beach within walking distance of main beach?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: noosa main beach vs sunshine beach

Sunshine Beach is beautiful and is open ocean so generally has large waves. There are a strip of restaurants on one of the main streets, but generally it is a quieter area than Noosa main beach. There are some parking areas but most is found on the surrounding streets.

Noosa main beach is in a protected bay so you still get waves but it is much calmer than Sunshine Beach. Hastings Street in Noosa Heads has lots of great restaurants to choose from and I would say offers more in terms of nightlife. There is more public parking available at Noosa too.

Sunshine Beach is about a 10-minute drive from Noosa main beach.

If you haven't already booked accommodation I would do that as soon as possible because both places get very busy around Christmas and New Years. You will pay peak rates at either location.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: noosa main beach vs sunshine beach

Do not forget to look at noosa sound as its not far from the main beach but with the river in front there is plenty of activity.

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: noosa main beach vs sunshine beach

If the wind is blowing from the north (which it does a lot at that time of year) then "the pocket" (the corner near the headland) at Sunshine is the place to be. It is protected from the wind, has good surf but isn't patrolled so be weary. It is also an offleash beach and dogs generally have the run of the place so if you don't like swimming and hanging out with dogs then this isn't your place. There is a small village full of eateries and restaurants and the surfclub which is right on the beach. However, Noosa is fairly protected from most conditions and is a lot busier and has a lot of restaurants to choose from. If you like that "holiday vibe", stay in Noosa and catch a bus to Sunshine beach on windy days for a change of scenery.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: noosa main beach vs sunshine beach

If you can afford it, I'd stay at Hastings St, I do love main beach more just because I'm not a fan of big waves. There is also a larger variety of restaurants as opposed to Sunshine, but they may be more expensive. There are some great restaurants at Sunshine though - Coconut Grove for example. Definately not walking distance from Sunshine to Main Beach but easy enough to get a bus or taxi. Hastings St will definately be better for night life. Parking is not great at either so if your hotel/resort has onsite parking it'd be a great bonus.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,142 posts
1,407 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: noosa main beach vs sunshine beach

Hi,

Both places are great - if you like calm safe waters Noosa main beach is terrific. If you like waves then Sunshine will suit you.

I prefer staying at Noosa and swimming at Sunshine Beach - but that requires a car. IMO, Noosa offers more regarding cafes, restaurants and nightlife.

EM.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,086 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: noosa main beach vs sunshine beach

I much prefer the slightly more quiet solitude of sunshine. It may have changed but there used to be a free bus to Noosa during the Christmas rush weeks.

It is walkable from Sunshine to Noosa as a longish walk via the National Park, nice for a days outing but not to use the beach.

If looking at accom in Sunshine for Jan avoid Duke, Henderson and Elanda Sts as we found the early am trafic started before 5am

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: noosa main beach vs sunshine beach

We loved Sunshine Beach but went to Noosa Beach often. We stayed here and it really was fantastic but stairs to the beach. noosaholidayrentals.com.au/html/holiday-acco…

8. Re: noosa main beach vs sunshine beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 20, 2010