We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nudist beach

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Nudist beach

Alexandria Bay is located on the eastern side of the Noosa Heads National Park. It is by far Queensland's most popular free beach and has been used for nude swimming and sunbathing for many years. Most days there are quite a lot of people on the beach, sometimes hundreds on weekends. Unfortunately, in spite of many requests, it still does not have legal status.

There are a few different ways of getting in to Alexandria Bay. First of all you can drive down into the main part of Noosa Heads and turn right at the Hastings Street roundabout then follow the beach road around until it ends in the main National Park headquarters car park. It is then a very scenic 3 km walk into the beach and along to the southern end where the naturists tend to congregate.

Alternatively you can also enter the park from the southern end at Sunshine Beach, either via Solway Drive or Park Edge Road. You can also walk in from Sunshine Beach but it is quite a steep climb in places. The Solway Drive approach is the shortest but parking is very limited and strictly policed, so be wary

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,528 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nudist beach

Enjoylife, Welcome to TA forums!!

I hope I'm still enjoying life at 94, as you are, mate.

Nice one for your first post!!

Luigi

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,133 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nudist beach

Thanks for that enjoylife94 - believe it or not we have endorsed Alexandria Bay on here once or twice before. Each to their own I guess.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,531 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nudist beach

I don't tend to 'Hang out' here but concur that the area is a great beaching area but those with budgie smugglers on can still feel comfortable.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nudist beach

This is one of the most beautiful beaches I know and it is also popular with fisherman and surfers.

When beaches in the surrounding area do not have swell, then a trek into Abay will often find you a nice little wave. It has gained polualrity in past years and know a crowd can appear in your favourite " secret" spot.

It can be a very treacherous beach and unfortunately has claimed some unsuspecting tourists in the past.

Be very aware when swimming here and be a strong swimmer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nudist beach

This beach is not recommended for swimming as it is not patrolled by lifesavers. Most people are happy to splash in the shallows naked.

At the annual nudist carnival in March each year lifesavers are on duty that day and a donation is given to the lifsaving club.

When the date of the next carnival is confirmed I will post it here

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nudist beach

"Most people are happy to splash in the shallows naked."

The problem is many don't understand the dangers of our surf beaches and can become easily sucked out to sea. They also see a beautiful location and don't sense any perils.

Trust me I have brought "naked people" back to shore with the help of my surfboard.

I have seen several jet boat rescues and I have resucitated a german tourist on the beach. As the beach is isolated,time is of the essence and sometimes a fatality occurs.

Ok better not mention the sharks..lol

Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nudist beach

unfortunately the unofficial nudist beach is also known to attract the seedier side of society. i have walked the national park tracks many times and have witnessed naked couples (m/m and m/f) at it in the bushes at the back of the beach. i was also in the main entrance car park once when a female tourist ran to the rangers hut after being the victim of an attempted sexual attack.

on my most recent walk we approached from sunshine beach and were just about above the devils kitchen when a naked man ran out in front of myself and children. he then went down and explored the devils kitchen area which made it awkward for us to relax and enjoy ourselves.

personally i would be in favour of moving the nudist beach out of the national park to an area of open beach that can be better patrolled as a-bay is so isolated.

…qld.gov.au/media/…noosa_headland_map.pdf

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nudist beach

"personally i would be in favour of moving the nudist beach out of the national park to an area of open beach that can be better patrolled as a-bay is so isolated"

I can imagine the storm that would cause.

Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nudist beach

better than the storm of another "incident"........

10. Re: Nudist beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 14, 2010