We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noosa or Coulandra

Which Noosa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
southampton
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Noosa or Coulandra

Hi

Has anyone got some advice! We're flying into Brisbance on 13 Dec, hiring a car and driving to Cairns for Xmas. We plan to stay one night in Currimundin, Coulandra, and spend the following day in Noosa and that night in Hervey Bay before going to Fraser Island. However I wonder if we should just go straight to Noosa and spend the day and night there and then onto Hervey Bay, rather than going to Coulandra. Or is Noosa ok for a day trip? The reseason for stopping in Coulandra was to visit the Glass House Moutains. Does anyone have some advice, if you do recommend Noosa for a stop over, could you recommend some B&Bs?

Many thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Noosa or Coulandra

There is not much to do at the Glasshouse Mountains unless you want to bushwalk etc...but don't let me put you off. There is a very scenc drive in the hinterland behind the Glasshouse which offers great views.

They are situated south of Caloundra so depending on the time you leave Currumbin and how much time you want to spend at Glasshouse, I would continue up the highway and stay in Noosa. You will want to return for a longer stay, i promise you.

We dont stay in B&B's however I hear they are all pretty good. Most B&B's are a little way out of Noosa.

Let me know if I can help further.

southampton
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Noosa or Coulandra

Thanks for your email. So would you recommend staying in Noosa for a night rather than just a day trip? If so where do you recommend to stay, it doesnt have to be a B&B, we're happy with hotels, hostels, camping etc etc...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Noosa or Coulandra

I agree with Surfoz. Noosa is quite a holiday destination in itself and very popular with us locals. You will drive right past the Glasshouse Mountains on your way and see them in all their glory.

There are zillions of places to stay in, and around Noosa. Hastings street is the main strip but a bit more expensive than Little Cove, Noosa Hill, Noosa Sound or Noosaville which are all close by and a bit more affordable.

Have a look at;

www.wotif.com.au/noosa for ideas, but keep in mind that you will be landing in Queensland on the first day of school holidays and it will be very busy everywhere.You may also have trouble finding somewhere that will take a one-night only booking.

ps. Was your original plan to stay at 'Currimundi' ? That is in fact 20 minutes north of Caloundra and not in Caloundra itself.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Noosa or Coulandra

As 40ish says it will be busy and it will be difficiult to find accomodation for just one night.

If you have accom booked at Currumundi( my second home 20 years ago) , stick to that and do your day trip to Noosa.

Brisbane
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,246 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Noosa or Coulandra

Most Accomodatio for this time of year around Noosa will be 3 night minimum. So maybe it would be a good idea and stick to your original plan.

If you are going to the Glasshouse Mountains then take the detour to Maleney. Great views overlooking them from Lady Cairncross Park.

regards

Oscar

southampton
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Noosa or Coulandra

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Does any one have a recommendation for a place to stay between Coulandra and Noosa if Noosa is going to be busy? Many thanks Fiona

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
5,996 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Noosa or Coulandra

I hate to tell you but it's going to be very busy along the entire strip between Caloundra and Noosa. Its the start of the Christmas School Holidays. So don't let that be a condition of where you stay.

If you want to see the Glass House Mountains in all their glory, go for a drive along Steve Irwin Way towards Australia Zoo. Plenty of Mountain views along the way.

Turn off at Landsborough and drive up to Maleny. Stop off at Mary Cairncross Park. After Maleny, head to Montville, Flaxton and down to Nambour.

You will love this drive and can be easily done in 1/2 day.

8. Re: Noosa or Coulandra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, October 14, 2009