We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pemberton accommdation

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Pemberton accommdation

Hi all,

Hubby and I are now considering staying 2 nights in Pemberton as part of our WA trip.

I've looked through accommodation options and nothing is particularly jumping out at me.

Does anyone have any recommendations perhaps?

Thanks,

Kaz

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pemberton accommdation

Hi Kaz

Im staying at Glenhaven B&B in March. I havent been there before but the reviews on TA sound pretty good. Stayed last year at the Pemberton Hotel. It was OK..clean, quiet, but nothing to get excited about. Ive also stayed at Forest lodge - that was a bad experience. Karri Valley Resort - fantastic when the kids were with us and Ive caught many trout there, but Ive heard its getting a bit "tired" now. Others Ive stayed at are a few years ago now so I hesitate to offer advice on them.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pemberton accommdation

My family stayed at the Old Picture Theatre apartments 3 years ago...lovely then...

http://www.oldpicturetheatre.com.au/

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pemberton accommdation

Another suggestion-

Dont stay in town if you are expecting thats where the action is. There is no "action" in town. Its a very small timber mill town with only a handfull of shops (you can walk the main street in 5 minutes). I recommend staying outside town at a chalet or something surrounded by the forest. You'll be amazed at the bird/wildlife you'll see.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pemberton accommdation

We stayed at the Karri Valley Resort on the lake in May, 4 years back, and I recall that it was pretty run down and quite cheap.

It now has been renovated and while not cheap on Wotif it seems reasonable value for anything over that way.

Their blurb mentions visiting birds and they do visit en masse, mainly parrots, ring necks, called 28's locally, we felt a bit guilty feeding them crushed crackers, but they seemed to love it.

Our activities centred around taking the steam train ride, wineries, a cider place, a brewery, the trout farm and the suchlike. We enjoyed it and would go back.

The poster who mentioned the town is spot on, there is nothing to the town itself.

Cheerz Wabster

sydney
Level Contributor
659 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pemberton accommdation

I stayed at Glenhaven B&B in 2007. It was great. I liked interacting with the other guests over a port at the end of the night. Even though they were a lot older than us it was interesting to listen to their travel stories etc..

I thought it was nice B&B in that you could talk to the owners and other guests but didn't feel obliged to.

While in Pemberton try to climb the Gloucester or Bicentennial tree. I didn't do it myself (I quite like having all my limbs right where they are and in one piece) but my BF did it. He said it was great, especially when you're at the top and the wind starts to blow...

Apparently the wild birds come down around the Gloucester tree at dusk so that would be something good to see too.

Cheers,

WM

sydney
Level Contributor
659 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pemberton accommdation

Oh, I forgot to mention there is a 4WD tour to the coast too which was really good. You start off going through the forest then suddenly there are these huge sandunes.

It's like being in the Sahara or something. Further on is the ocean. The tour was through Pemberton Discovery Tours. We did a morning tour and had lunch included, the lunch was just bread rolls that you make yourself but that was OK, the real drawcard is the dunes and the rolling surf on the beach.

pembertondiscoverytours.com.au/Brochure.pdf

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pemberton accommdation

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Knew you'd respond, ajk, as I'm sure it was you who encouraged me to stay 2 nights, rather than 1? :-)

Thanks too for the advice about staying out of the town as most of the places I'd looked at seemed quite far out of Pemberton but I couldn't find much in Pemberton itself, which concerned me.

Thanks too for the advice on what to see and do in the area.

Kaz

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
568 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pemberton accommdation

Hi Kaz - I stayed at the Pemberton Farm Chalets for one night at the end of November last year. It's less than a mile out of Pemberton and set in lovely country with really nice uninterrupted views from your own little chalet. I paid $95, and for an extra $30 you can get one with a spa bath, if you like the sound of that. You get your own little terrace, with a barbie and table and chairs - very pleasant for an evening drink or three. Oh, and there's a wood-burning stove in the sitting room, with logs provided (yes, it was cool enough in the evening to prompt me to give it a go). The chalets are more substantially built than on many such sites. There's a pool on site; various farm livestock (and kangaroos that come right up to the fence just in front of the chalets). You can walk along a track past the owner's vineyard to the Gloucester Tree, thus saving yourself $10 in the process (if you drive there that's what it will cost you). Their website is: www.pembertonfarmchalets.com.au

Nearby is Jarrahjack's Brewery, which is in a delightful spot, again with a vineyard. As well as the various beers on offer there they do meals, which might be an alternative to eating in Pemberton itself (though I had an excellent meal in the Pemberton Hotel - try the 'King Neptune').

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,868 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pemberton accommdation

yeah Kaz...I love the area:)

Again, its like the Margaret River region - just find a base to stay anywhere that looks good then go out and explore. Theres a tourist bureau in town that'll help you with all the attractions in the area.

I can also recommend "King Trout" where you can catch your own lunch and they will cook it up and serve it with salad and chips. You need not bring a thing, you can hire all equipment, and catching the trout is easy. From memory, hiring, catching and having them cook it costs about AUD$25-ish each.

FawlyTowersWatch recommendation sounds pretty good to me:) I might check it out when Im there in March for future reference.

Did I mention to watch out for the Tiger snakes when you walk in the forest? LOL

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
420 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pemberton accommdation

Thanks FawltyTowerswatch and ajk,

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the meal suggestions. Have to try the King Neptune now and the King Trout too.

ajk, I'll be keeping a look out for your report when you're back from your trip. Enjoy!

Tiger snakes? Sound quite easy to spot. I'll mind my step. :-)

Get answers to your questions about Pemberton