We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Busselton

Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to Busselton

Hi, I will be touching down Perth International Airport around 320pm. By the time i check-out, get my luggage and hired a car, could be around 420pm. is it advisable group of us (5 people) drive to Busselton from airport?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to Busselton

Not unless you want to become a statistic.

Book a hotel/motel overnight and leave the next day.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to Busselton

You don't mention where you're coming from Joey. If arriving after a long international flight, you'd do best to rest up and drive down the next day as Perthite suggests.

On a good day Busselton is only about a 2.5 hour drive from Perth, but as you'll be arriving tired and will be in the thick of afternoon work traffic, it could well take considerably longer, unless you're already familiar with the area and accustomed to driving on the left. Traffic will be less of an issue if you're arriving on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

You don't mention what time of year, but keep in mind that days are getting shorter as we work our way to winter. It's not wise to drive in the country at dusk or after dark due to the kangaroos and other nocturnal wildlife.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to Busselton

When you say "is it advisable", what kind of advice are you looking for?

Advice on the roads? It isn't a difficult drive. Relatively good roads, and well signposted, and there are a number of opportunities to stop and rest on the way.

Advice on whether it advisable to drive for three hours after an international flight? Depends on the flight. Leave that to others, but personally I can't imagine anything worse than being in a hotel near the airport at 5pm at night.

Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to Busselton

Sorry for being unclear.

My trip is on mid of December, 6 hours on the flight. we have 3 drivers whom can take turn to drive.

Group of us are first time to Perth, not familiar with the surrounding, and not sure what time Perth getting dark during Dec. So looking at these condition, is it advisable for us to drive to Busselton?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to Busselton

Days are long in December and with only six hours on a plane and three drivers/navigators, I see no reason not to just go for it.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
289 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to Busselton

Yep go for it. Traffic will be a bit rubbish getting out of Perth but so worth it once you get there. great spot.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive to Busselton

I will still maintain my original opinion. Is it so bad to find a nice little motel, have a pleasant evening meal and head off the next day?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive to Busselton

Of course it's not bad, but vacation time is valuable, so why not get on with it? :)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,793 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive to Busselton

inas, the option isn't necessarily to stay near the airport. There are any number of places to stay in Perth and Freo which are very nice and not near the airport. Personally, I wouldn't be going to Busselton. Isn't it good we are all different?

Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive to Busselton

Thanks guys for all valuable advice. Another options would be stay a night at frementle. But looking at many accommodation required min 2 nights stay,.so at the end may be straight go Busselton if the sky still bright.