We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nanarup Beach - stunning 'secret' lagoon

Which Albany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
433 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Nanarup Beach - stunning 'secret' lagoon

So the family and I were just in Albany for a few days last week and we thought we'd try to go canoeing on the King or Kalgan Rivers. Well, we drove around there but it was so windy we gave up on the canoeing. As we were already over that way we thought we'd just go for a bit of an explore and drove on down to Nanarup beach just near the 'inlet' (which had completely closed off).

Just after we pulled up we saw a bus-load of kids from GSG pull up with snorkelling gear. Well, we wandered onto the beach - it was beautiful with perfect white squeaky sand - but just too exposed for anything much. We watched the students walking away off to the west towards a large rocky outcrop on the beach and decided to head that way.

As we started to see around the outcrop we saw a beautiful sheltered lagoon with crystal clear blue water. Wow - we were really blown away by how gorgeous it was. It would have been the perfect swimming spot and was definitely worth the walk up the beach.

I am sure the locals want to keep it to themselves but I just had to share.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
3,114 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nanarup Beach - stunning 'secret' lagoon

Yes , it's a great spot there. Was a favourite when I was growing up in Albany- bit like Little Beach at Two People's Bay. If anyone is heading out that way there is a cafe which my Mum likes -though I haven't been yet.

http://www.albanymarronfarm.com.au/

So many hidden little beaches around Albany which locals know which are best according to wind conditions eg Mistaken Island beach, beaches around Quaranup, the super squeaky white sand of Frenchman's Bay, Mutton Bird Island beach, Gull Rock etc etc

rainbowcoast.com.au/maps/albany-wa-beaches-m…

And if you are keen on walking with ocean views here's a link to some local walks- the cover photo shows the board walk which I rave about on this forum- from Middleton Beach to the Port (at the point at opening of the harbour is a wonderful sculpture of Ataturk).

rainbowcoast.com.au/areas/…walks.htm

Thanks for sharing.

Perth
Level Contributor
433 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nanarup Beach - stunning 'secret' lagoon

Thanks Jean

The wife and I have done the Middleton Beach walk and stopped off at the old abandoned lighthouse keeper's house. Really interesting and beautiful.

I just love it down in Albany.

KL
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nanarup Beach - stunning 'secret' lagoon

Hi, are there any camping grounds here? tks!

Albany, Australia
Level Contributor
617 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nanarup Beach - stunning 'secret' lagoon

At Nanarup? No.

It is a nice lagoon, but I avoid Nanarup because of the multitude of 4WD on the beach.

IMHO beaches should be for people, not cars.

5. Re: Nanarup Beach - stunning 'secret' lagoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, December 06, 2015