We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver to Albany, AU

Which Albany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Vancouver to Albany, AU

I would like to know about the Albany Airport. Is it open 24/7? I am coming from VAncouver, CANADA and there seems to be no flight .... Is there someone knowledgeable enough to help me?

Best travel agencies? I have a very tight budget but this is my first international travel..... please someone help me?

Edited: 4:13 pm, January 04, 2013
South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vancouver to Albany, AU

albany aiport is a regional airport serviced by sky west.

u would have to fly into perth first.

use www.kayak.com to explore your options for the YVR-PER leg.

then http://www.skywest.com.au/Home.aspx for the internal leg.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vancouver to Albany, AU

So CANADA AIR doesnt go directly to Albany? Wow, I really picked an expensive destination... it would cost me 2500+ just for flights? Not including food and accommodation?

God! Any good news?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,592 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vancouver to Albany, AU

I mourn the absence of Canada Air in regional Tasmanian towns too. :(

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vancouver to Albany, AU

air canada doesn't even fly to perth!

they fly to sydney.

there u would have to pick up a domestic flight to perth

then another to albany.

some airlines fly to perth via asia from vancouver.

also u could look maybe at flying to sydney via the usa (LAX) eg. united, virgin australia, qantas and adding the domestic legs to your international ticket.

www.kayak.com is the place to look for international flight options.

but really $2500 return does not seem to bad a price for that trip.

edit: air canada neglects moruya too, luigi. u r not alone.

Edited: 4:59 pm, January 04, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vancouver to Albany, AU

Why would Air Canada go all the way to Albany, which as a previous poster told you is a smaller regional airport on the west side of Australia?

Most if not all international airlines first port to Australia in Sydney Melbourne or Brisbane then rely on Australia airlines to get pax to their destination in other places be they big or small. Other airlines coming from Europe or the Middle East or Africa often first port at Perth, but you'd still need to change to another smaller airline for the last leg of your flight.

Travel costs from large hubs to large hubs is cheap these days because of huge demand and lots of capacity. This isn't the case for smaller regional trunk routes. Have a look at the costs of getting to smaller places in the USA, cheap as chips to the major transfer port then quite expensive to do the last part of the trip, it is just the economics of airline travel.

Yes it is unlikely you will get from Canada to Albany for less than $2500, and if that is out of your budget before you even consider food accommodation and tourist activities then you simply can't afford to travel there.

If that is your budget, then no, there is no good news sadly.

Vancouver, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vancouver to Albany, AU

I have saved for an entire year for this trip actually. I work part time and taking my MA full time. I really need this trip to celebrate my birthday..... Is there any travel agency I could speak directly to that knows the ins and outs for cheaper price? Kayak doesn't paint the whole picture....33 hrs flight, 2500+ and that's only vancouver to perth...then another 400+ perth to albany.

I don't need tourist activities, I can live in water and chips for a few days.... If you know please give me a shout!

Appreciate all your responses.... THanK YOU!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vancouver to Albany, AU

While you are scoping costs, check out the cost of accommodation in Albany. You'll also need to get around and would probably need to rent a car.

What is the attraction of Albany, maybe the whaling museum. I don't recall there being a great deal else. If you don't need "tourist activities" why go there?

Have you researched what is actually there? Cruised the appropriate Forum for signs of things to see and do, and that the place is possibly just too expensive and remote for you ;-)

Cheerz Wabster.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vancouver to Albany, AU

I'm curious why you chose Albany.

You could fly to Perth and then drive to Albany, it's a five hour drive via the Albany Highway, considerably longer if you go via Margaret River, Walpole and Denmark. It's a beautiful part of WA, so I hope you have plenty of time to enjoy it.

I recently flew from Perth to Colorado and it was well over $3,000 . $2,500 sounds about right to me.

More bad news though....Western Australia is very expensive. I hope you've taken the cost of a holiday here into account.

What time of year you travel is important too - when might that be?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vancouver to Albany, AU

I assume there is a specific reason why you want to go to Albany. Otherwise, perhaps look at visiting somewhere on the east coast, which should be cheaper as you won't have all the extra connecting flights.. It's already been explained to you WHY it's so expensive, plus the time of year can make a big difference to prices as well.

If people are using a Travel Agent, they usually go to someone in their own country, so unless there are Canadians reading this, you are unlikely to get a recommendation.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vancouver to Albany, AU

Just shakes her head in utter amazement than Air Canada doesn't fly to every regional airport on the opposite side of the world........... Disgraceful!

KirstenZ - perhaps you could consider taking your vacation somewhere that you CAN afford to go and having a really good time. Did you just throw a dart at a map to come up with Albany of all the places you could visit in Australia for a special trip or do you have a reason for going there? Perhaps if you tell us what type of holiday you are after, we could suggest some more affordable and interesting options.