We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Albany

Which Albany hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
212 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Albany

This may seem silly as I'm from Perth and have travelled down south a lot, but i've never been further than Pemberton.

I'm going to Albany for 2 nights for a quick Honeymoon in March, and have no idea what to do or see there. Would greatly appreciated any tips on the 'highlights' of the area, great palces to eat, stunning views and general things to see and do. I'd like to have an idea beofre we get there so we don't wind up wasting time as it's a short visit.

We'll be leaving home in the morning and can't check in to our B&B until 3.30pm, so will have a few hours to kill. Have decided to take the long way there through Bunbury and down the SW Hwy so we can stop by Ballingup/Bridgetown/Donnybrook (love these places). I think this will take about 6 hours? Any suggestions on places worth stopping at after Manjimup would be apprecited.

Thanks in advance for any help :-)

Albany, Western...
Level Contributor
615 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Albany

Hi jess747

FreeWithPantsOn has directed you to quite a good list of "highlights" on your other thread. A lot depends on which days you will be in Albany and what you like to do. All this is just my personal opinion, what might appeal to me if I were on a honeymoon:

My highlights: Little Beach, Waterfall Beach and Two Peoples Bay (and Nippers Cafe on the way to or from); the Wind Farm and the walking trails around it; the Gap and the Natural Bridge; Middleton Beach and the Ellen Cove boardwalk; Mount Clarence and its walk trails; Goode Beach, Whalers Cove, and the Point Possession walk trail; the walk between Middleton Beach and Emu Point.

Great places to eat: If you are here on a Friday night, Lavender Cottage. Any other night, The Wild Duck. Lots of people like Lime 303, but I have found it inconsistent. There are many more casual options, of which I prefer Rustlers Steakhouse and Dylans. The Squid Shack is great for fish (or even better, squid) and chips. Cafes: The Bay Merchant, Liberte (also a nice bar), York Street Cafe, Emu Point Cafe, Nippers.

Stunning views: from the top of Mount Clarence; along the coast from the Wind Farm; from the top of Bluff Knoll in the Stirlings ( a bit far for a two-night stay, though).

We always drive up and down Albany Highway but there are many experts on taking the long way round, and also many forum posts on the subject if you do a search. I think it would take longer than 6 hours even without stopping. Personally, I wouldn't do it on such a short trip. Perhaps think about taking Albany Highway and stopping at the Kodja Place in Kojonup and/or the Sandalwood Factory just outside of Albany and/or driving via the Porungurups.

Denmark and Walpole, as well as the areas between them and Albany are beautiful, with stunning beaches, but I think for a 2-night stay Albany is enough.

Hope that helps. Further questions are, of course, welcome. I'm sure your b&b will have ideas, too: where are you staying?

Penny

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Albany

Agree with Penny that it will take longer than six hours via the route you propose. We took the same route to Denmark a few months back and it took us nine hours, which included very short stops in Pinjarra, Harvey and Balingup and a lunch stop in Donnybrook. We also made a short detour to Fonty's Pool Winery (near Manjimup). It was a long day, and we arrived well after dark.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
212 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Albany

Thanks for all the feedback .

I told my fiance I wanted to take the longer route, and he wasn't too happy about that, now hearing it's well over 6 hours I tend to aggree!

We're staying at Hideaway Haven, from Mon 14/3-Wed 16/3. Penny71 you've listed heaps of info, thanks. Looking forward to visiting Albany :-)

Albany, Western...
Level Contributor
615 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Albany

Hideaway Haven looks like a gorgeous place to stay, and I'm sure the hosts will have many wonderful ideas about how to spend your time. Have a great honeymoon. :-)

5. Re: Things to do in Albany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 28, 2013