We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 Apostles Helicopter & weather for this week

Which Port Campbell hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
986 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
12 Apostles Helicopter & weather for this week

I am wondering whether do a helicopter flight on Friday or Saturday as the weather prediction is windy or possible showers. This is obviously a very windy region so at what wind speed or direction etc would you advise to cancel the idea as being unpleasant. Is morning a better time of day for the trip? There are 2 adults + 2 teenagers. It is not a cheap experience so don't want to waste our money if the conditions are not reasonable. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

It is also school holidays - would we need to pre-book? Thanks

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 12 Apostles Helicopter & weather for this week

AFAIK there is no need to pre-book. Be at the heliport early morning before the coaches arrive and be first in line. This way you will know what the weather is before paying for your flight.

Have not looked at the weather report for the end of the week. Will look tomorrow if there is a week forecast. for that area.

or www.bom.gov.org.au/portcampnbell or something like that.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 12 Apostles Helicopter & weather for this week

Forecast for Friday

Cloudy. Isolated showers contracting to the coast late in the evening. Winds west to southwesterly averaging 15 to 30 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to around 7 with daytime temperatures reaching around 14.

WarrnamboolShower or two.Min9Max14ColacShower or two.Min7Max13

Forecast for Saturday

Cloudy. Scattered showers. Winds west to southwesterly averaging 15 to 25 km/h, reaching 35 km/h at times, tending south to southwesterly up to 20 km/h in the west late in the evening. Overnight temperatures falling to around 7 with daytime temperatures reaching around 13.

Scarves and raincoats, gloves and hats. ! But helicopter flights should be OK.

Edited: 8:08 am, September 15, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
986 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 12 Apostles Helicopter & weather for this week

We are now back from our trip along the Great Ocean Road and would like to share the following information. I understand that the 12 Apostles helicopters have only cancelled 2 days in the year due to weather. They fly upon demand so you just roll up and book the next available journey. There is the pilot + max of 3 passengers. There are 4 helicopters but they usually only fly 1 at the start of the day from 9am (last flight 5.10pm). May change with demand and time of year. You can do 1) 12 Apostles $90 2) + London Bridge $145 3) + Bay of Islands $235? We did #2 which was excellent and paid an extra $20 for the low level option which is only performed by 1 chopper. I highly recommend this option as I think you are too distant from the scenery with the regualy journey. Do the flight before 2pm as this is when the tour buses start arriving so expect delays then. The weather can change every few minutes but bad weather gives another perspective with the rough seas crashing onto the coastline as opposed to the blue sky, blue water and calm seas. We had a great flight despite the conditions. This would have to be an unforgetable highlight of our trip. The scenery here riivals some of the best I have scene around the world. The helicopter flights are at the same place as the 12 Apolstles viewing platforms so it is easy to find on the main highway. I also saw brochures for a flight from Apollo Bay or chopper from Port Campbell. We travelled from Lorne to Port Campbell where we stayed overnight. We did not get up early so lost a few hours but there is so much to see and do that you want to allow as much time as possible to do it leisurely as the driving can be tiring and should be enjoyed. There was still the Bay of Martyrs and Bay of Islands to do as well.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 12 Apostles Helicopter & weather for this week

Angel88, so glad you chanced the weather and enjoyed your time along the GOR.

Thank you for sharing the info on the flights.I think its Snodge in Sydney or our TA in Canberra who always recommends these flights. There seem to be more helicopters there than previously which means the flights have become popular and less expensive in comparison to the economy.

Hope to see you back in Victoria for another highlight.

Edited: 7:41 am, September 22, 2010
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 12 Apostles Helicopter & weather for this week

Yes, it's me who used to recommend the flights. It's been a few years though. There used to be two companies but a while back I was doublechecking that the links to both were still current before posting them and discovered that the company we went with is no longer there. I was very disappointed as they were great and you could get a video of your flight filmed with multiple cameras inside and outside the helicopter. I'm glad you enjoyed the flight Angel88, it was certainly a highlight of our visit too. Thanks for posting a report. Btw you mention seeing a brochure for flights from Port Campbell?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
986 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 12 Apostles Helicopter & weather for this week

Hi

I don't remember the name of the company out of Port Campbell but I do recall that they offer the DVD of your flight which is a nice option. However the 12 Apostles Helicopter do sell a DVD for $20 but I have not watched it yet. They said it was similar to what we did - so assuming it is the low level London Bridge flight. I am sure their dvd has a sunny sky and azure blue water which was not what we saw - but both are outstanding experiences as the rough seas and grey, gloomy skies add to character of the area. Just do the flight anyway and enjoy.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,558 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 12 Apostles Helicopter & weather for this week

Thanks. The company we went with had a hangar on the highway closer to Port Campbell, but their old website redirects to the other website...

Port Campbell
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 12 Apostles Helicopter & weather for this week

Hi all - Tony here, Manager of one of the backpacker Hostels in Port Campbell, a small fishing village 12km west of the 12 Apostles, on the Great Ocean Road.

There are two businesses flying choppers along this coastline. 12 Apostles Helicopters fly from their pads, accessed directly from the 12 Apostles carpark. Like you suggest, they fly on-demand, and fly year 'round. They have a fleet of 5 choppers, and are currently expanding that fleet for the upcoming summer months. The other, called Apostle Coast Aviation, fly from Peterborough, a small village about 12km west of Port Campbell. As you'd expect, both businesses offer similar experiences along the coastline (which is spectacular!).

The third company mentioned in this forum - that used to fly from a small hangar approx. 2-3km west of the 12 Apostles - no longer exists. It was purchased by 12 Apostles Helicopters some time ago... so 12 Apostles Helicopters are now the sole operator flying directly from the immediate 12 Apostles themselves.

And, 12 Apostles Helicopters get VERY busy when the tour groups roll up - normally from 2.00pm onwards, so it pays to take a flight before then, if you can. (In fact, if you want to see some humourous sites when hundreds of visitors spill off dozens of tour coaches and all run to get the first seats on the choppers... that in itself is worth a visit to the area!).

No matter which company you choose, they operate from 9.00am on any given day, and MUST cease operating no-later than 1-hour before sunset. (So - naturally - they can fly for much longer hours of operation during summer).

If you're interested in more detailed and unbiased info about this topic - from a locals perspective - feel free to contact me directly at the hostel either c/- email at: reception@portcampbellhostel.com.au or phone 0459-467-835 (+61-459-467-835 if you're calling from anywhere outside Australia).

Cheers

Tony

9. Re: 12 Apostles Helicopter & weather for this week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 05, 2011