We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

East Coast Driving

Which Bicheno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
East Coast Driving

Hi Everyone, Wanted to ask if anyone has experience driving along the east coast at night. We just booked a penguin tour at Bicheno that won't start till 9pm. However the only accommodation we could get is St. Marys. Would it be better just to see the penguins at lowhead up north while we're staying in launceston? Any advice would be great! Cheers!

4 replies to this topic
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,995 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: East Coast Driving

Hi Vicki, as you've probably seen we don't recommend driving at night, especially in the St Marys area. If you do the drive, just drive a lot slower and be much more alert than on your normal night drives.

Picking between the St Marys or Launceston drive at night IMO is 6 to one, half a dozen to another. Both have their animal issues, although St Marys may have a few more animals around.

I was just in Brisbane a few weeks ago, did some night driving around the Donnybrook area, I had to drive slow there due the kangaroos on the side of the road, just drive slower.

Safe travels - Robert

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,325 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: East Coast Driving

It's a bit under 50km, but the second half is up Elephant Pass which is steep and winding. Just take it slowly and keep an eye out for the wildlife.

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: East Coast Driving

Thanks! I'm actually wondering if i should go up the Tasman highway and use esk highway rather than elephant pass.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,325 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: East Coast Driving

You've still gotta climb the same mountain range. It's just further. :)

Reply to: East Coast Driving
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bicheno