We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wineglass bay lookout

sydney australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
wineglass bay lookout

Is it true that the walk to the lookout has 600 steps? I thought that the steeper section of the Wineglass Bay walk was the section after the lookout.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wineglass bay lookout

I didn't count the steps, but it's definitely a bit of a climb! Much more than I was expecting. A few guide books put it as a leisurely 20 minute walk, but it was steep and tough going in places. There's lots of places to stop and catch your breath though.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wineglass bay lookout

Hi fally, according to a the PWS it does (each way), but because it is sooo steep in places, you cannot physically do it in 600 steps! Bit deceptive really, the sign at the bottom of the walk says 1-1.5 hours, buts its more like 1 hour to reach the lookout and 20 minutes back down. Luckily there are lots of places to stop!

Last time we walked it, it was about 35 degrees C, and took even longer - had been closed due to the heat and wind for several days as it was quite dangerous

Cheers,

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wineglass bay lookout

It is a good hard walk to the look out if i remember right you kind of go up and over to get to the lookout. but it is worth every step of it pleanty of spots to have a rest just remember your water bottle

sydney australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wineglass bay lookout

thanks, everyone. It will be early June when we do it, so hopefully not 35 degrees. That sounds very unpleasant.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wineglass bay lookout

If it reaches even 15 degrees in June most will tell you it is a hot day.

Dont rush your walk and as long as it doesnt rain you'll have a great time.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wineglass bay lookout

yes, I definitely recommend *not* walking the track in greater than 30degree heat!

Have a great time fally :-)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wineglass bay lookout

Hi we did the wineglass bay lookout a couple of days ago with a 5 year old in tow. It's actually about 300 up and 300 back. It took us about 1 and a half hours,with quite a few breaks for our little guy,well worth it if the weather is good the view is great.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wineglass bay lookout

Hi, I have done the Wineglass Bay walk, and the walk up to the lookout is okay and the 600 steps would probably be about right. When it starts it is not too bad as it winds around, it's just a bit steep toward the top. Took about 30 minutes to the lookout.

It is the section after this going to Wineglass Bay that is hard going. Very steep down to the Bay, so coming back up a climb and a half!!!. Once back to the lookout it feels like you are on easy street.

If you do the walk to the lookout only this is fine, but if you want to walk to Wineglass Bay and back allow about 1 1/2 to 2 hours as you will want to spend a bit of time on the beach before you start the climb back. Wear good walking shoes. We did it in the rain, and from the lookout saw absolutely nothing just a white cloud haze, so had to continue to the Bay to see it. I'm not especially fit but was okay and it is well worth the walk.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wineglass bay lookout

Thanks, all.

It's reassuring to know that a 5 year old can do it - I should be able to match that!

As we only have one day in Freycinet, my fingers are crossed for a sunny day.

10. Re: wineglass bay lookout

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, November 27, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bicheno